Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Install Star Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRohan

Programmer
Feb 19, 2002
IN
I have Redhat Linux 7.2 with complete installation.
i have downloaded the following installaion segments from sun.com

so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en-000.bin so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en-004.bin so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en-008.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en-001.bin so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en-005.bin so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en-009.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en-002.bin so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en-006.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en-003.bin so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en-007.bin
sop-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin

i use so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en-000.bin to start the installation.
Although i have java in the bin dir,During installation it says
"No Java Runtime Environment was found which can be used by StarOffice"

and gives an option
Which environment should be used?
1) Java and JavaScript are not supported (radio button enabled)
2) Already installed on the system (radio button Disabled)

after saying OK it starts installation and gets stuck at 31% completion saying
"An error occurred while unpacking the file libsw569li.so. There is probably not enough disk space."

but on the console where i have started the installation i get the follwoing error

"glibc version: 2.2.4

File: /tmp/sv001.tmp/f_0066

End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on the last disk(s) of this archive."

and if i try to ignore this error and proceed it keeps giving the same error for the remaining lib files.

First i thought that the ftp of the above files was not complete so i downloaded those files again but efforts invain.

what can be the possible error in installing and what can the possible alternatives to install with the current installaion files, because it takes a looooott of time downloading these files.

Not enough disk space? if you have the space, download the entire file in one shot. -God Bless

i have enough of space more than a GB, i hope that is sufficient. i have tried downloading that one file , but it always ends up not even half of it, i thought my internet connection might be a problem but then i am able to download other huge stuffs.

You can try burning it on a cd or verifying the files integrity to make sure that all the files are valid.

Hope this helps. :) -God Bless

Hi Rohan,

Do following to install StarOffice.

* Check with the permission of the files that you downloaded. You need to use the chmod 777 command to change the permissions of the downloaded files.

* If the downloaded files have the execution permissions, then check with your user rights. Check with the permissions of the directory in which you are trying to install StarOffice. You need to have the complete permissions given to you, because you are going to write into a directory.

* Check with the version of the glibc present on your computer. You need to have a glibc 2.1.1 or above. If you do not have this, then you need to update this file with a newer version.

* Check what is the space that you have allocated for the temp directory (Swap memory) while installing Staroffice. If this is less than 500 MB of space, then increase the space in the temp directory.

Get back to me if the problem still persist.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,
Asteroid.

i dont think i have any problems with file permissions and
use rights.
it acutally starts the installation, then at
one point it says java is not installed, but i do have java
installed by default. i checked this by compiling a java
program and executing it.
next after that it starts with something and then stops and
gives the errors that i have mentioned in my first post.
i have 61 MB of swap space, this is what i can see when i say
dk -kh.
next /tmp dir is under / and i have around 1GB space free in
/ so there is no point in deleteing those files which round
up in size of few KBs.

what do i do next.

ok guys now i have office 2000 up and running on my linux box. so no need of star office. thanks for the help.

- first u need to configure the correct version of wine else u will face lot of problems relating to dlls.
- then put the installation cd in the cdrom drive.
- mount it with options to disclose hidden files.
- then just run the setup using wine command as
wine path/setup.exe
- and u have everything up and running except for(office assistant)

i also have a add/remove program utility through which u can install and uninstall.

do a google search and u will find lots of stuff.

Ok, so I installed wine, but I did not understand the rest of the instructions.

Wines help is not much help :) -God Bless

It's easy! run wine with win program file as parameter (or set wine association with .exe files - if you do not plan to run DOS programs with wine)

What parameter would you put? is it like
wine /usr/myprog
? -God Bless

Usually it is
/cdrom/myprog
or
/FAT-DISK/myprog
or
/NTFS-DISK/myprog
In depth:
Because there is no way for dos program to be on native *NIX volume(but, it can be mounted into tree) BEFORE you install it in emulator (after it, you can run it from link, created by wine, or from /wherever_you_place_c_drive_image/). MS-DOS and *NIX volumes mounted differently, so it it safe to install Windows programs only in catalog, which plays drive c role for wine (if Windows program doesn't need drive names, ie correct Win32 programs - it can be run and store data from/to any path). Of course, you can try to run already installed in Windows program from mounted drive as shown above.
In short:
just run it.

use the command
wine /mnt/cdrom/setup.exe

see to it that you mount the cdrom having the office setup with the following command.
mount -t iso9660 -o unhide /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Ok, I'll try that, but I tried setting linux to open an exe with wine and the system logged me out.
-God Bless

have u configured wine before associating the file types.
u should be having a hidded directory name wine in your home directory and then create a the windows structure in this directory. then only it is possible to use wine. i think ur wine was not configured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back