Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to install SMS Clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebel4k

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2002
GB
I am new to SMS and have just installed SMS in a single domain environment on a member server. Whenever I run a discovery, all the machines within the domain appear in the all systems container, however the only one with a sitecode is the SMS server itself and it is also the only one that is showing up as assigned. I subsequently cannot install any clients on all of the other machines within the Domain. I have uninstalled and reinstalled SMS but to no avail. I have also made sure that the SMS Computer account has full rights to the systems management folder but it still does not work. Is anyone able to pint me in the right direction. Any help would be moost appreciated

Have you enabled Client Push? Just installing the SMS\SCCM server won't automatically install the clients.

Also have you ensured that the account used to install the client is a member of the local admins (either using Restricted Groups via GPO or the account is a member of the Domain Admins AD group).

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Client push has been enabled and the account being used is a Domain Admins account. When pushing out the client it only gets installed on the sms server itself. As mentioned before, when machines are discovered they are not assigned a site code which I think may be what's causing the problem.

the machine discovery process (from the server side) wont assign a site as such. the site assignment occurs are part of the client installation process (initiated by the client push or you can install the SMS client locally yourself on a target machine).

if you are saying you believe it is an issue with the SMS site assignment? then you need to logon to a target machine (a client) and check a number of things:

+ is SMS client installed? if its not then for testing purposes i suggest you install it manually using ccmsetup.exe
+ if the SMS client is installed which site is the client assigned to? go to the control panel, load the Configuration Manager client console (or SMS clietn console) check one of hte tabs which has the inforamtion on which site the client is assigned. there is a button this tab, something like 'site discovery', you can click on this and what should happen goes something like this (vaguely)...
...if your clietn machine has access to the domain / or SLP and discover which site it should be assigned to. this site assignment is a function on how you have setup your SMS servers site boundaries....if your site has no boundaries, or the target client machine is not in the boundaries of your site,,,,then the client will not get assigned any SMS site, and you will not be able to manage it.

Can you confirm that you have setup your Site boundaries correctly in SMS console, server side....using your Active Directory sites for this is the best bet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back