Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to install Networker on NT server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegLegato

Technical User
Jul 1, 2002
HK
Hi, I am trying to install Networker Server software version 6.2 on a NT 4 sp 6 server. During installation it stops and displays Evt 1025: Unable to start nsrexecd on server. Make sure you have enough priviledges to start system services.

I am trying to install it from an local Admin NT account. Server has MSSQL version 7 installed. I stopped MSSQL services thinking that might be a conflict but no luck. Any one have an idea why nsrexecd cannot be started. This NT server has a static IP and in not part of any domain. Permission on D drive where I am trying to install is set for everyone full control.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Did you choose NTFS instead of FAT during the installation ? John Trembly
mailto:John.Trembly@dpcdsb.org

Hi,

I am installing the 6.2 client on a W2K SP3 server. During the isntallation I have the same problem as you. When the clientinstallation come to the step where the nsrexecd service is starting it doesn't start. Then I have a popup windows with the message:
"Unable to start nsrexecd on server. Make sure you have enough priviledges to start system services".

Have you in the meanwhile a solution for the problem ?

Thanks

dieter

Hi wickd. Yes, we reinstalled the OS on that server and the problem went away. Apparently the server we tried to install Networker did not have the company OS kit. We reinstalled using our NT kit and everything works excellent now. The problem is in the OS and not Networker.

Regards,

leglegato.

I've also had strange erros when installing from a network location. If you haven't already, install from official media or copy the files to a local drive before installing.

I have exactly the same error during the installation.
the way I get around is this:
1. when the error prompt up
2. go to the services panel (the services has already been created)
3. change the services (both backup service and client service) to use a domain administrator account instead of default local system account
4. click on the try button on the error diaglog box.
5. this time should be able to start the service.

conclusion:
from now on networker and nsrexecd service needed to be started using the domain admin account, if you intend to change back to local system. You will find it all the configuration and index are lost and somehow you will see there is another nsr directory created automatically somewhere in the root eg. D:\

I am still asking for the solution from legato. As I know that there must be something wrong with the NT system instead of legato. most likely related to permission or registry.

Hope this can help for the time being if you don't want to re-install the whole NT before the real solution come out. If there is anyone know about the real solution please post it. thanks a lot.
Tony

Hi,

thanks for yours suggestions.
I installed from official media and I tried install from the local disk.
The Event Log shows this:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11920
Date: 1/6/2003
Time: 12:33:36 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ISELSRTEST
Description:
Product: NetWorker -- Error 1920.Service 'nsrexecd' (nsrexecd) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

I also tried to change the serviceuser during the installation. But all without success.
Newinstallation is not possible, because the server is an produktive control-server.

Regards

dieter

What version of Internet explorer is installed?

Hi,

the Internet Explores have the version: 6.0.2800.1106 SP1

Not that then, there were problems prior to IE5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back