Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to insert records in a MYSQL Database using PHP (Coding) ***Correction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelsea7

Programmer
Aug 25, 2008
US
I'm having trouble inserting records into a MYSQL database using PHP 5 (don't have the exact version. I can insert records directly in the table itself. What makes this strange is that the code below already exists from prior coding and works fine. I used the same exact syntax for the new database and table, but it will not insert any records. I receive no error messages either. Any suggestions?

------------------------------------------
<?

$conn=mysql_connect("mysql", "User", "Password")or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("eventcal",$conn)or die(mysql_error());

mysql_query("INSERT INTO eventshows(date,event_name,desc,links_page)VALUES
('$_POST[date]','$_POST[event_name]','$_POST[desc]','$_POST[links_page]')");

Print "Thank you for updating the event calendar!";

?>
------------------------------------
MySQL client version: 5.1.55

Thanks
Chelsea

escape all user submitted values before using them in the database. and ensure that they are properly formatted too (e.g. date strings are most easily passed as yyyy-mm-dd).

Hello there. I'm not sure what you mean by "escape all user submitted values before using them in the database". Please clarify.

Thank you.

You should not use user submitted values directly in a query. They should be escaped or cleansed prior to being placed in a query. Using mysql_real_eascape_string() function.

i.e. $date = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['date']);

That however does not directly address why its not inserting.

Try asking mysql for an error on the insert query like you do for the connection and DB selection.

Code:
mysql_query("INSERT INTO eventshows(date,event_name,desc,links_page)VALUES
('$_POST[date]','$_POST[event_name]','$_POST[desc]','$_POST[links_page]')")[red][b] or die(mysql_error)[/b][/red];

Also try outputting the generated query to make sure its correct.

Code:
echo "INSERT INTO eventshows(date,event_name,desc,links_page)VALUES
('$_POST[date]','$_POST[event_name]','$_POST[desc]','$_POST[links_page]')";

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown. 

[url=http://behindtheweb.blogspot.com/] Web & Tech [/url]

It would answer the question of why it is not inserting if the date delimiters were coming in as / and not being escaped.

That was the thrust behind my points.

Ahh, did not think of that. But you are of course correct. Unescaped date delimiters may be causing issues.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Hello everyone. Sorry it too me long but I got it to work. It's so strange. For some odd reason, something told me to change the names of the last two fields. Why? I don;t know. But now it works fine. I changed the 'DESC' field to 'Details' and 'Event_Name' to 'Eventname'. Perhaps, the old field names were reserved by mysql or something else.

Thanks everyone.

desc is indeed a reserved word. it is used in order by and similar clauses to mean 'descending'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back