Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to insert blank page between groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

okon3

Technical User
Jan 4, 2009
US
I am trying to insert a blank page between the booklists(group) and I am unsuccessful
report header
page header
groups
booklist
appt time
appt id

I have everything suppressed which maybe part of the issue, but when I click the new page before in the section expert for the booklist group I get no blank page or when I click the new page after in the booklist footer I get no blank page.
Do I need to unsuppress and certain sections for this to happen?
If I just unsupress group footer for booklist then I do get a blank page at the end and the same with group header section unsupressed a page at the very beginning.
But nothing between the groups?

Insert a Group footer_b section and format it with both new page before and new page after (with a conditional formula for the latter if you don't want a final blank page):

not onlastrecord

-LB

Really?? It does work.
Forgive the question but then what are the options in the standard section editor for-just the regular group and footer areas? or is this a workaround for a crystal deficiency?

I'm not following you. New page before just means you are adding a page break before the section so that it starts on a new page, etc.

-LB

I mean there are the options in group footer for new page before and new page after.
Why do I need to add a second group footer(GFb) in order for these actions to work? and not just select them in the footer that is already present?
I does that help?

Sorry just noticed that with the formula you gave to supress on the last record. I only get one blank page at the end, but I get two blank pages just before the last group prints.
I have both the new page after and new page before conditionally suppressed with
not onlastrecord
in group footer B.

No other sections contain any new page settings??
Thanks

Ignore the not onlastrecord for now. That was intended only for the new page after so that you don't get a blank page at the end of the report--but maybe you want that anyway.

You can use new page before or after on most sections--it just creates a page break, NOT a blank page, i.e., new page before does not mean "new blank page before", it just forces a page break.To get the blank page, you need the new blank section to be alone on a page, and thus you format it with both new page before and after.

-LB

I don't particularly want a blank page at the end so I think I'll play with it so I don't get two blank pages before the last record, the rest just have one.

Right about the page break, but if I send the page break from group footer A, I do not get the same results as the setting it in group footer B. Neither section contains anything other than the new page after option. Just wondering why it ignores the setting in group footing A.

Please explain more clearly the result you want to achieve, and then how you have formatted each group footer section. You might also reread my suggestions, as you don't seem to have implemented them correctly.

-LB

I'm not really trying to accomplish anything other than learning the application.
I thought I would play with some of the features now that my report is almost complete. I have reread and reread your answers as they are always excelent advice.

I think we are confusing each other. I will pick up some books, study the help file better and request help when I have a specific issue that I can work with.

Again, Thanks for all your help you have really given me some good information and a tremendous boost.
Thanks,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back