Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to hear on calls transferred off-net 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarrethers

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
US
We are experiencing loss of volume ranging from moderate to 'can't hear at all' when calls are transferred through the office to outside numbers of employees working from home. There is also a squeal on the line at times. We have had the phone company check the individual lines and had an NEC tech adjust CM 3519, CM 4250 and CM 4252. We have POTS lines (I believe ground start) feeding the system. I am told that switching to T1 service might improve the voice quality when two lines are tied together for outside transfer. Is this true ? Are there any other possible solutions ?

It is DB level issues. That's where the sqeal and the volume levels come from. A DB loss for when it's low volume. The DB is too high when there's a sqeal.
Check the PAD Levels.
Yes, if it's a T1 shouldn't have these problems. IF there is, you'd have to play with the pad levels to fix.

KILLBOX

Yes, this does sound like a PAD issue. You shld check the ARTD command and you will see the PAD settings and you can try it at 0 PAD and then try a few test calls. I had this situation where the third party on the call could barely hear the other parties and once the PAD was removed (I believe the setting is 7 - which means NO PAD) it was fine and sounded great. Try that.

I'm having the same problem, only I'm on a Merlin Legend. I do not have the squeal problem, but do have the complaint of the 3rd party not being able to hear. Where do I check the PAD setting and ARTD. Please advise. Thank you.

What type of switch do you have? On a MAT terminal with DOS or windows, youcan type in ARTD and then press return and it will list out the different settings for a specific trunk/route and there is one called "PAD". It is normally defaulted to have lowering of the volume. If you want to test it, you can set it to 0 or 7 and test the different. Do a test before you change it to hear what it sounds like and then change it and test it again and that will tell you right there if it addressed some of the problem you were having.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back