Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to get more than 8192 characters in Sql 2000, Query Analyser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varughese

Programmer
Jun 16, 2000
GB
Dear All,

I have an ntext field in SQL 2000 database which contains upto 50,000 characters. I would like to see this in the Query Analyser. However there seems to be no option to see more than 8192 characters per column in the Query Analyser. Setting the text size also does not help.

In Sql 7.0 I could set the text size and set the maximum characters per column option to the desired size. But not in SQL 2000 Query Analyser which does not accept more than 8192 for maximum characters per column. Is there a way around this ? I tried osql also, but not much success.

I would be grateful for any help at all in this matter.

Many thanks in advance,

Varughese

8192 is the limit. I don't know of any way around that. You'll need to use text functions to display additional text characters.

Though I never tested it in SQL 7, the documentation indicates that 8192 was the textsize limit is SQL 7, also. Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

I have used the option in Sql 7.0 to return 50,000 characters. It is a little inconvenient that this facility has been taken off in SQL 2000, Query Analyser.

Thanks all the same for the clarification. Can you advise me on the text functions to be used to consecutively read and display all of the characters is the ntext field ?

Thanks,

Varughese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back