Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to get into BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookieatit

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2001
CA
Hers's my problem. I have a compaq 6300 mmx PII 300. the primary HDD is a 4gig SCSI and I have a Slave IDE 2gig set to primary. Now the problem I have bought a 40 gig HDD IDE and am trying to set it up. I am unable to get into the BIOS for some unknown reason and am unabe to see if the HDD is being picked up.

1. How can I get to the BIOS F10 will bring up Diag Part but no further.

2. How do install without getting into BIOS?

If you can't get into the BIOS at all, try hitting the "delete" or "F2" keys. Those are the most common keys for entering the BIOS. Otherwise, check your motherboard manual, (check the website if you don't have it) for other ways.
Regarding your current setup, you have an IDE drive slaved to a SCSI drive? You might want to double check that, as they can't run on the same cable. Have you tried swapping the 40 GB out with the 2 GB? Does it see it at post? Jordan MCP, A+
Assistant Network Administrator

Thank you for the tips. I am able to get to the BIOS login but am unable to get system info. Hour glass hangs and all that I see is a pixel line that will not open. I flashed the ROMchip to see if it might help. My 2gig IDE HDD is attached to an IDE channel cable. This works just fine. I have tried to install the 40 gig HDD on another machine and use Maxblast to format the HDD. It gets to 5% and then calfs out. This machine is a P266.
I was wondering if clearing the CMOS and then trying to start over again as it will not recognize IDE as a primary HDD and get a msg that the primary HDD is not found. I am unable to see the POST as the system is set so you do not see it at start and I am unable to change it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back