Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to get a good complete backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

clcarroll

MIS
Oct 15, 2001
US
I was able to get a good backup on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server with SP2, until just a few weeks ago. I'm getting a little nervous about not being able to get a good back up now.

1. I CAN create a backup job within ArcServe 2000's Manager and backup certain files. However when I try and do a backup of the whole server the MB/Minutes go from 500+ down to the teens. I'm not sure why this is is happening.

2. The server has about 55 gigs worth of data. But it had that much data to begin with,( before having this problem of the backup still running from the night before and not completing).

3. I reinstalled the NIC drivers which was suggested on one of your FAQs area, didn't seem to help.

4. I've turned of calcuation, database recording doesn't seem to matter.. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Arcserve at the console, doesn't seem to matter.

My thoughts on the problem, was that maybe it's a "rights issue", but I don't know how it could be if I can get a complete backup when I select certain files, such as the SQL Databases. (the large files on the server.)

I'm at my wits end.. Has anyone ran into this problem before?
I appreciate any input..

PerpProb,
Have you tried putting a client agent on that server? CA suggests this for several reasons. It not only speeds up the process - it acts as a push agent, but it also gets rid of a lot of sharing violation errors that can make a job fail. You have to configure the job differently though - instead of choosing your server through the 'network' - you expand 'agents' and add your remote server as an object.

Ashley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back