Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to format a floppy disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2000
US
I am unable to format a floppy disk on my Windows NT workstation. The disks I am trying to format are Sony 2DD disks. The error I am receiving is "Windows NT was unable to complete the format". Does anyone know why this is happening? thanks.

Are you able to read already formatted disks in the floppy drive? IF not, you may have a faulty drive.

Also, ensure that the disks are not write-protected - I know it's a long shot but worth mentioning .....

Try doing a format from a command prompt. Just do a FORMAT A: and see what happens. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Open Explorer and be sure you are on Drive C:. Them Right Klick on A: and choose format ;o)

have fun

Sony 2DD disks? Are these 720kb - Double Density, rather then normal High Density(HD) 1.44 MB disks? If so, you could try format /F:720.

They are 720 kb - Double Density,,, I didnt' even realize there was a difference.. thank you so much for your help. It worked... [2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back