Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to find PC using \\ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

pallu2k

Technical User
Aug 5, 2002
IN
Hi

i'm unable to find Computers on my network using \\IP Address. I'm using Windows 2000 Pro
This is happening only in IBM 6049-C2A PC's but i'm able to find PC's on other brand PC's
i have the correct DNS,WINS ....everything correct as the other systems
But it works fine on windows 98 on the same machine
Any Ideas on what could be wrong

regards
Biju

It may not be pulling the correct information using the DHCP (I assume you're using that). Go do a ipconfig /all and check if all that info is correct on the client end. If it isnt, do a ipconfig /renew to seee if you can push the right dat ato your clients.

Now try using Tracert and ping to figure what's happening. First, work out to see if you can ping the server. Then tracert the server. Then ping another client. Tracert them.

Also, with your testing phase, use IP addresses and DNS names (so it checks whether it can look things up).

Also, your "\\IPaddress" format is incorrect. Thats Windows filesharing netbios format. Try pinging them first. If that works, it's some weird setting on Win2k acting as something it shouldnt.

Just work your way up the protocol tree. You should find your error eventually. Please let Tek-Tips members know if their posts were helpful.

krale

i'm using static ip
as of now the problem is i'm able to see the computer and the share names but i'm not able to open the displayed folders. it says "ip address" does not exist, this is happenning only in IBM machines

but if i try the same thing on a compaq it works
i have reinstalled everything on both the systems , but still only the compaq works

note: only shared directories i'm able to open but not the shared drives
ex: share name "c" does not open, if i share "winnt" i'm able to open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back