Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to find network server

Status
Not open for further replies.

guldan

Technical User
Mar 13, 2000
US
I need to know how to fix this. we are running winnt ver 4 with sp6a. and we intermitenly lose the server i mean the workstations will not be able to see the server and it locks up the program (telemagic) when i reboot the server everything is back to normal. i switched from netbeui to tcpip for peer to peer. and i thought that did it because it didn't happen for a week. but it happened once yesterday and twice today already. there are no corresponding alarms in the event viewer

any assistance will be greatly appreaciated

When you look in Event Viewer, are you looking at all three logs? There should be something in there to give us a clue. The system log is probably where we should see a problem, but the application and security logs could shed some light. Once in Event Viewer too, check your Log Settings by clicking on "Log" and "Log Settings" and up the Maximum log size to 1024 and check "Overwrite as needed". You have to do this for each of the 3 logs. Then let's see what we get the next time this happens.

Also, describe more specifically what you mean by "the workstations will not be able to see the server" when this happens so we can best understand how you are perceiving what is happening.

Lastly for now, where does this application reside that is getting locked up?

There are so many factors and not enough specifics to really help, so we're going to need more input from you.

Before I submit...when the workstations loose the ability to see the server, open a command prompt on one of them and try to ping the server (ping servername). Then pint the server's IP address. Post that here when it happens again and it will help everyone to know the next thing to do in our troubleshooting.

Good Luck,
G

THERE IS A PATTERN IN THE EVENT VIEWER SYSTEM LOG(I HADN'T NOTICED IT TILL NOW)
IT GOES LIKE THIS.
SOURCE SERIAL EVENT 3 TYPE INFORMATION
(DETAILS: User configuration data for parameter COM1 overriding
firmware configuration data.)
THEN THERE IS THIS
SOURCE SERVER EVENT 2511 TYPE ERROR
(DETAILS :The server service was unable to recreate the share
REPLICA_LOGIN$ because the directory c:\RepNT\connect no longer exists.)

I HAVE TRIED TO PING THE SERVER WHEN THIS HAPPENS(BY IP ADDRESS I DIDNT TRY BY SERVER NAME)
I JUST GET A TIMEOUT

THE APPLICATION RESIDES ON THE SERVER, AND THERE IS A NODE ON EACH WORKSTATION.
ALL FILES ARE STORED ON THE SERVER INCLUDING PARTS OF THE APPLICATION. WHEN WE LOSE THE SERVER THE APP IS NO LONGER ABLE TO READ THE FILES ON THE NETWORK DRIVE AND TERMINATES.

I hope that this is enough if it's not or u think of anything else just let me know
thanx

Well, I hope some other experts jump in here to help...here we go:

Do you know of any software or hardware using COM1? I think this is where we are loosing the server, but I don't know why. When you find out the server has lost connectivity to the network and you go to re-boot it, is it locked up and non-responsive or does it appear OK, but you just can't see it from workstations? The reason I ask is I'm trying to ascertain whether or not we have a problem with the Network Adapter (NIC) or with the application or with the OS. How long ago did you install SP6a?

Oh, in case you haven't and your server's problem goes from ugly to worse, have you created an Emergency Repair Disk? Do so by opening a command prompt and typing in "rdisk /s" without the quotes and hit enter.

I'll wait to hear back on the many questions I've asked and you keep studying those event messages. Go back in time too because sometimes a previous "event" will indicate the reason for many others.

Ain't this fun!!! ;-)

MaestroG

I think the tape backup is using comm 1 (it says scsi port 1 not sure if thats the same thing)
when i go to reboot the server seems fine.
i installed the service pak about a week ago. but the problem was occuring before and since then
i am makeing a emergency disk at this moment.
thanx again

Well, I re-read the event log message and it's probably not COM1 (it was an information event, not a warning or error). COM1 is the 9 prong "serial" port for attaching external modems and serial mouses, etc. SCSI port 1 is different...

The error you saw about being unable to recreate the share probably isn't anything to worry about. You can open your Server Manager and dbl-clk on this server and click on "Computer" at the top menu and then on "Shared Directories". In there, you can find the sortof grayed out REPLICA_LOGIN$ and click "stop sharing"...BUT only if you are sure that share is unrelated to the application you are loosing connection to.

How about you update the drivers for your Network Adapter (NIC). Are you using a 3Com or Intel NIC? At least we can get that out of the way. Also, how is this server connected to the network? A hub, a switch? Any chance there is a problem with your physical wiring or physical connections to hubs or switches?

Man, this is tough over the forum and not being there... :cool:

G

Sorry i took so long to respond. This work stuff keeps getting in the way:>)
I updated the drivers for the eithernet adapter (dfe-530tx)
and i thought that might have done it i did on friday morning didnt have any problems for the rest of the day. but it happened again about half an hour ago. same thing as before.

I had a similar problem with a IBM 320 PCServer (P90). It worked in Novell but I switched it to NT. It worked fine for awhile, but then would act as if it were not hooked to the network. The computer was responsive and nothing in the Event Viewer indicated an issue.

We (IBM service rep and myself) played the swap the components (network card, SCSI adapter and mother board) and loaded the latest copy of the BIOS. None of this cured the problem.

We could recreate the error by copying a large amount of files from the box over the network, so we knew if and when we fixed the problem. This would alway cause it to fail but it took hours of copying before it failed.

As a last resort I loaded the same version BIOS from another PCServer 320. And it worked after that.

You might want to flash to the latest BIOS or better yet ask the manufacturer if there are known problems with NT 4 SP6 and their board or BIOS. Also contact telemagic and see if they have an issue with SP6a.

If it is a problem with the COM port, you can often go into the BIOS and disable the COM ports (serial ports) or switch them to another COM port (i.e, to COM3 and COM4).

Jason

I had the exact same problem. Certain folks would lose connectivity to the server 4 or 5 times a day for no reason. I had to rewire some hubs and everything seems ok.

I noticed that when I had certain hubs connected to each other the drops would happen.

Maybe there's a loop somewhere in your network configure.

Unfortunately, I dont know what I did to fix it, but reconfiging hub connections help.

Hope this helps.

I've just went two days without losing the server. first i updated the network card drivers. started to acquire the bios drivers to update them. called a tm reseller and he had had the same problem. he said reboot the hub and swithches. I did and havent had the problem since. (knock on wood)

I want to thank every one for there help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back