Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to find computer by Host Name, only by IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

menstroy

MIS
Jun 2, 2003
US
Hello,

I'm not 100% clear on what protocols are invovled, but I have a Win 98 machine setup and it is called \\TEST01

When I frist set it up I had no problem going to any other machinse and typing \\TEST01 at the Start-Run prompt.

However now I can not find the machine by this mehthod. The only way I can reach it is by using its IP adderss \\10.180.23.24

Can anyone expalin to me whats going on? I've seen this before and I tink its something to do with the NetBui, but in the past it usaly fixed itself after a few hours.

Thanks

Try running nbtstat -RR from the computer to re-register the NetBIOS names.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

Thanks!

I'll give this a try, This looks like the solution, Do you know what would cause a Win 98 machine to be kicked out of the domain, or for its NetBIOS machine name to droped from the routing tables?

DOH, I think I forget to mention that this PC is running Windows 98, Unless I'm missing it I don't think NBSTAT is a win98 command??

nbtstat is a part of Windows 9x.

Steven S.
MCSA

DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

nbTstat ... I read it as just nbstat, missed a T.

Thanks

Sorry to post again, but Windows 98 does not have the -RR argument.

---------------------------------------------------
NBTSTAT
C:\Windows\NBTSTAT.EXE

You can use the NBTSTAT command to view current IP connections that are using NetBIOS over TCP/IP. To view the remote machine name table for a machine with an IP address of 169.254.36.201, use the following command:

C:\NBTSTAT -A 169.254.36.201

NBTSTAT Parameters and Switches
-a
Displays the remote machine's name table given its name

-A
Displays the remote machine's name table given its IP address

-c
Displays the remote name cache

-n
Displays local NetBIOS names

-r
Lists names resolved by broadcast and WINS

-R
Reloads the remote name table

-S
Lists sessions table using IP addresses

-s
Lists sessions table, but resolves IP addresses using the HOSTS file

Hmmm... Try rebooting the PC?

Steven S.
MCSA

Heheh Yah, I restarted machine.

I'm in Tech Support - Rebooting the PC is the first thing I always do or suggest doing :)

I'm in tech support too but we no longer have Win 9x machines in our environment so it's been a while.

Steven S.
MCSA

Well, typicaly we do not use Win 98 machines, but our company will not authorize a Windows 2k Server, so the only way I know/knew to get around the 10user limit that Windows 2k/XP has is to use Windows 98...

I've been using it as a simple file server (20-30 users) for months and until recently its worked perfectly...

But now I cant access it by its host name... and the above fix didn't help. Any other ideas? :)

Is your network in a domain or workgroup? Can you see the computer through My Network Places? Can you ping it by name and IP address?

Steven S.
MCSA

The machine is on a domain, I was able to add it with no problem... I can ping the machine by IP address...

The problem is its random, Some computers can access it by machine name, and others cant... So its very frustrating.

I've never tried pinging a computer by machine name, I'll have to see if its in the Network neighborhood list, i avoid opening that list caues its got tons of computers listed.

Do you notice that the machines that can access have something in common? Maybe on the same subnet or same OS?

Steven S.
MCSA

You said you are running a Domain... are you running a WINS server? If so, make sure that the computers are updating in it. If not, it is a Master Browser issue.

-Jamieson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back