Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to erase ANSI media

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjdes

Technical User
Jan 10, 2003
US
I have a win2K server running Backupexec 8.6 with a tape library attached and have been trying to recycle old media.
The media is reported as "ANSI VOL1: UOxxxx (BP)" after doing an inventory on it. The UOxxxx is a valid ID, however does not tie in with it's barcode label.

When I try to erase or re-label it, BackupExec fails saying media is write protected!

I have even moved the media from "Imported Media" pool after it has been inventoried to "Scratch Media" pool, to no avail!

Any ideas?

First, on the write-protected. Since these are old tapes adn you are trying to re-use them, take one of the 'write-protected' tapes and make sure the 'write-protect' tab is in the proper position.

-SQLBill

mjdes

let me guess the situation you have - because I ran into it and took me a little while to figure out.

The old tapes you are using, were they used in a DLT4000, DLT7000 or a DLT8000 tape drive? I am thinking DLT4000.
If so, is the new tape drive you are trying to format these tapes on a VS80 drive?

If it is, you won't be able to erase the tapes, as the VS80 doesn't support writing to tapes written to by a DLT4000.
The only way to use those tapes again is to get them professionally erased.

Veritas have a link about it:-

SQLBill - Thanks for the reminder, however the Write Protect tab is not enabled - first thing one normally checks :)

I did find the Veritas doco that mentions unable to overwrite media previously written by other drives.

The strange thing is that I am able to Inventory the media (confirming the drives are backward compatible) AND the tape labels (electronic header) are the same as the barcode labels.

It is mind bogglin that one cannot overwrite or erase previously written media even though the it is fully compatible with the drive!

At least the DLT sales won't drop.... :)

mjdes

you haven't answered the question..

are you now using a VS80 DLT drive, an the tapes were previously written with a DLT4000 drive?
If so, it hasn't anything to do with backup Exec at all - NTbackup will do the same thing.

Justin,

The current tape drive is a SDLT, however I cannot confirm what drive the media was written to by. As you said, it appears to be a hardware issue rather than a software issue.

I was hoping someone may have another solution besides the big old magnet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back