Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to enter device path information in Jbconfig for drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamcolliss

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
GB
Hi

I have recently upgraded the firmware to 5AU1 from 25D4 in the two IBM LTO-1 drives we have in our ADIC Scalar 100 Jukebox. Since doing this we have had a few issues with Networker seeming to fail to control the drives properly so we have tried to delete the Jukebox definition using Networker Administrator and re-create it using Jbconfig.

Unfortunately we are unable to add the drives using Jbconfig, it autodetects the jukebox itself but when we try to add the device path (i.e. \\.\Tape0) we get a stat error saying \\.\Tape0 does not exist. I've tried many different versions of the windows drivers for the drives but jbconfig still won't detect them correctly.

Inquire gives the following output-

scsidev@2.0.0:ADIC Scalar 100 3.34|Autochanger (Jukebox)
S/N: ADICxxxxxx
scsidev@2.1.0:IBM ULTRIUM-TD1 5AU1|Tape
S/N: xxxxxx
ATNN:IBM ULTRIUM-TD1 xxxxxxx

scsidev@3.2.0:IBM ULTRIUM-TD1 5AU1|Tape
S/N: xxxxxx
ATNN:IBM ULTRIUM-TD1 xxxxxxx

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Adam

That's for sure - if Windows does not assign device names (\\.\Tape#), NW can not do it by itself.

Make sure that Windows sees the devices before you proceed.

Hi
Thanks for the quick response, the drives and autochanger are listed under device manager if this is what you mean?

No - this is just 50% of what you need. There should be the Windows device name (\\.\Tape#) next to the reported INQUIRE string as well. As long as you do not see it, you are stuck.

Thanks, any advice on what could be causing the paths to be missing from inquire?

Do not stick to the NW command right now - it is Windows which does not do the expected job.

Thanks - do you think its a driver issue then? I've tried 3 different versions of the Ultrium driver and all do the same thing (no path name shown under inquire)

It points to a sriver problem.

BTW - do no just look at the inquire output. This command returns nothing else but what the Windows device manager would also report.

With Windows use the original Microsoft LTO-Drivers, dont use the manufacturer supplied drivers.
After you changed the drivers stop the windows remote media service if its running and run inquire again.

Hi

I was unable to find the windows 2000 server generic LTO driver so I upgraded the server to 2003, during this process the drive paths re-appeared again (even though they are using the same IBM driver) so all is working now.

Thanks for all the advice.

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back