Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to enter any data in MS Access Linked Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalyan Ganesan

Programmer
May 10, 2017
US
I created a table using

CREATE TABLE RETREIVERS AS SELECT * FROM DBL_RETREIVERS

I created a linked table in MS Access that is pointing to this table, i am unable to enter any data in MS Access Linked Table,there are no constraints or triggers on this table in Oracle..why is it preventing me from entering any data?There are 300 rows in the table,i am trying to enter data into two columns that are currently null,all the menus are disable,like adding new record ,delete record and paste record when i right click on the table in the data sheet view in MS ACcess,very strange

The table must have a primary key field that Access can identify. If you look at the linked table in design mode is there a primary key?

Duane
Vevey, Switzerland
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

As i mentioned in the post there are no constraints,no triggers on this table...no primary key nothing..

No primary key then no update. Every table in the world should have a unique key/index.

Duane
Vevey, Switzerland
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

I'm not positive if a linked table without a primary key can have records added from an append query. You might need to try and report back.
Aren't there any fields that can define uniqueness even in combination?

Duane
Vevey, Switzerland
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

No there are no fields that have any condition constraint or a primary key,so no room for uniqueness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back