Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Eject or Use CDROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeY2K

MIS
Apr 11, 2001
US
Have an Ultra 10 running 2.6. I am unable to eject the CDROM even by pressing the button on the unit itself (lights up amber?). Unit won't see the drive, and when I try the "Eject CD-ROM" command in the GUI, I get a "Watch Error" box that pops up with the message:

<day/date/time/year> (/usr/dt/bin/dtexec) sh

cdrom0: No such file or directory

In the /root/cdrom directory, there is a file called sun_ultra_5_10_series_hw_ab with a pic of CD over it, but nothing else in that directory. As you can tell I am new to Solaris and any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

if you get the watch for errors message, then it most likely is due to the fact that the CD-ROM is being used somehow. Check any consoles you have open to see if you in any of the directories that are inside the CD-ROM. Also, close any GUI's that are showing you the files within the CD-ROM.

Hope this helps!!!!!

Thanks. I have all consoles closed and all GUI applications closed as well. This particular unit is not shared. Could I be missing a file somewhere? It seems to be looking for a file that it cannot find.

try typing : eject -f /cdrom at the command line.
This should force the CD-ROM to eject. Also, have you tried a reboot?

Hope this helps.

Hi,
You can also do a :
fuser /cdrom to see the process # holding the cdrom.

fuser -k /cdrom -- to kill the process that is using the cdrom

If this doesn't work use the device name instead of /cdrom.
Hope this helps.
Nana

I started having similar problems on a Sun 7 system after applying patches that brought the kernel patch up to level 14. Turns out some code they had included in that patch broke vold. I backed out all the patches. I'm reluctant to patch the system again because of this problem and because Sun issued that patch k-n-o-w-i-n-g it broke vold. (Their warning of this problem came at the end of a 21 page readme file.)

Try this at the command line:

cd to /root/cdrom. Type rm sun_ultra_5_10_series_hw_ab.
Then cd to / and try to unmount /root/cdrom. It should work.

Thanks...tried all these approaches with no success. Maybe the CDROM drive isn't mounting in the first place? Should I look in the /etc/vfstab file and if so, what am I looking for? (e.g. /dev/rdsk/<location>).

Sorry to be a pain, but I do appreciate it all your help!

If you have a CD in the drive that you are desparate to retrieve, there should be a small pinhole close to the CDROM tray, if you gently push the end of a paper clip in the pinhole it will force the CR tray open. I would only try this when all else fails.

After retrieving your CD, check to see if your volume management daemon is running:

ps -ef | grep vold

The location of my cdrom drive is /dev/rdsk/c0t6d0s2. You may have to try and manually mount the drive.

Good luck,
pmckeehan

have you ever had the cdrom working, were you able to see the cdrom when it was inserted?

if you haven't (and you have volume management running) do a 'volcheck' to see if it will find it

kill vold, you should then be able to unmount it, unshare it and eject it with the button on the front (if you are lucky :)

do a 'pkill -9 dtfile' and look to see if you have any other things running in ps (don't think solaris 2.6 had auto-run for cd's but might be some have programs that run when you insert a cd with vold running)

if all else fails tell the machine to shut down, and eject the cdrom when there isn't an OS running in memory ( have only had to do this twice ;)

You can check to see if the CD has mounted by doing a bdf. It will usuallly be at the end of the list. If it does show up in a bdf listing, try again to cd to the mount point that shows in the bdf list and see if there is anything there. If nothing shows, cd back one directory and do an ls. If anything shows, do a rm -r *, then cd to /. Do a bdf again and try unmounting the mount point that shows up in the bdf listing. At this point, you should be able to eject the CD.

(If vold is running, it might automatically mount the cd device before you have time to eject disk. At this point, you might want to either kill vold, eject the cd, then restart vold.)

Also, when a CD is mounted, it is listed in the /etc/mnttab rather than the /etc/vfstab.

Allright guys/gals...thanks a million for the help. I am now able to get the CDROM to eject ONLY by pressing the eject button on the CDROM itself (I &quot;manually&quot; ejected it a few times a la paperclip). When I use the &quot;eject&quot; command at the command line OR if I use &quot;eject CD-ROM&quot; in the GUI...nothing. Also, when I insert a CDROM manually by pressing the button on the unit itself, it WILL read and function properly (I am able to use it to install programs, etc.). I have verified that vold is running. Any more thoughts? I promise not to bother you about it anymore ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back