Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to do a directed recovery to original location

Status
Not open for further replies.

loucorked

Technical User
Dec 21, 2006
EU
Hi All

I'm relatively new to networker and I've just starting remotely managing a customers legato backup environment.. The customer is using networker 7.3.2 and the networker server is a sun solaris box. Because it is a remote service, i only have telnet access into the backup server. The network management console is installed on another server, which i can rdc into.. Between the management console and the telnet access to the backup server, i am monitoring the backups.. However Problem

I tried to do a restore from the NMC Gui of some files on another windows client.. From the NMC GUI i highlighted the client and started the networker user. I selected the client and destination as the same server, as the restore was to the original location. I started the restore however it fails with error "could not establish network connection". I tried the restore again, this time selecting the client(from whose data i want restored) and selected the NMC server as the destination, and the restore worked.. Does anyone have any ideas why i can't restore to any client except the NMC server??

I'm not sure but it sounds like it could be a name resolution error.

Does the client you are restoring to have the NMC servers short and FQDN name in its hostfile, or are they in a DNS that handles reverse lookups too? If not, try adding the client's name in the hosts-file on the NMC server and the NMC server's addresses in the clients hosts-file.

Ok. where would i view the host file on the NMC server?

?? What about /etc/hosts ?

However i discovered a strange statement in your description:

- I tried to do a restore from the NMC Gui of some files on another windows client.
>>> Windows to Windows should of course work.

- I tried the restore again, this time selecting the client(from whose data i want restored) and selected the NMC server as the destination, and the restore worked.
>>> Does this mean you want to recover Windows data to a UNIX client? NetWorker will not support that - He will show the error "cross platform recoveries are not supported" instead. Do you really want to tell us that you got it working?

No im not trying to recover windows data to a unix machine.. Im doing the recovery from the NMC server to a windows client Just to clarify incase I have confused anyone..

THe backup server is unix.. The source client(A) is Windows, and of course the NMC server(B) is windows.. The destination client is the same client as the source client. I cannot recover data from the source client(A) back to the same destination client(A), but I can recover the data from the source client(A) if i select the NMC Server as the destination client(B).

I tried it again yesterday and i got the error
"nsrexec: system error.The system cannot find the file specified

Sounds weird:
- In both cases you are using the same index
- So there is no problem to find the files on the source (the NW index)
- Obviously the problem is that you can not recover, because you are not allowed to start the remote recovery process.

That seems to be logical but the error message does not fit in this case at all.

Never mind - The only idea i have is that the destination client is rejecting your recovery attempt.

Have a look at the /nsr/res/servers file on this client and check whether your admin client (the machine where you start the process) is listed as well. Make necessary changes and do not forget to start the "Remote exec service" at this client before your next recovery attempt.

Thanks for your help.. As i mentioned earlier, im very new to Legato and backup software in general.. As I work within a remote managed center, i dont have access to any clients. I can only access the NMC servers and have telnet access into the backup servers.. Is there any other of checking the clients files if i cannot actually log into the client server???

If there is no otho.
er possibility like a network share ... no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back