Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to discover node

Status
Not open for further replies.

anirudhadeo

Programmer
Mar 25, 2002
IN
Hi
I am facing a problem i haved installed oracle 8i on my machine During installation i was logged in to windows 2000 mc to my network(domain) login.

Nowadays i am logging to my local machine and not the network(domain) login , i can access all the utilities of oracle 8i .... and can create database ...net8..configuration etc... but the problem is that I am unable to discover the node(with my machine name )
through the enterprise manager console ... i can see the database services running ... even when i net 8 configure the database on my machine it is connecting properly..... but through other machines in the network i am unable to detect the node(my machine).. (there is no problem with my network)
I think that this problem is becoz of the fact that i was logged to my network domain to my computer during installation and when working i am logged to my local machine.....
if this is the problem is there any way i can solve it or shall i reinstall the oracle 8i on the local machine

hope i am not confusing you
waiting for your help....
thanks
Anirudha.

Hi,

when discover node fails, then this has often to do with DNS or domain-problems, also dynamic IP-addresses can cause these problems.

It definitively has nothing to do with the DOMAIN-USER you used during installation.

The reason is: The computer settings and/or name-service is not the same when you are logged in as a local user. We need more informations to debug the cause here, since there are some possible reasons:

- look into your INIT.ORA-file:
service_names = db_name || db_domain
does it contain your domain as DB-domain

- look into your LISTENER.ORA-file:
The SID-description global_dbname should be the service name of your db.
In which way did you specify your host there: by name only, by name.<domain>, by IP ?

- look for the same in your tnsnames.ora?!

- proof your dns when you are locally connected, is it still working ? If no then check your network, TCP/IP properties.

- and so on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back