Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to dial into Modem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

abovebrd

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2000
US
I am having a little trouble configuring a serial port for dial in access. I have a 16 port digi box that I am tring to configure port 16 (/dev/ttyb16) for a modem. I have enabled the device and made sure there was an entry in the inttab file.<br><br>When I dial the number ir rings and excepts the connection.<br>However a login is not generated and the connection seems to stay that way until i disconnect one of the modems.<br><br>It is also worth noting that this is part of a completly fresh installation of Openserver 5.05.<br><br>I was able to install a modem on tty1a.<br><br>Any Ideas ? <p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Using MPI?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Earlier versions had this Digi port manager. Not sure if it is still used. And if the speeds don't match you get this sort of problem. What modem speeds? Gettydef token ? And I suspect you want to use ttyB16 but without knowing what box and card I've no way of knowing if that is the correct modem port. <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>

edfair,<br><br>MPI is still used today. I am using port 2 on the digi card with 1 concentrator terminated. When I use MPI it causes a problem with my second CPU and causes a &quot;Kernel Panic&quot; and dumps to /dev/swap <br><br>Thats a whole other problem. <br><br>At this point my preference is not to use MPI. The port I need to configure is ttyb16.<br><br>I enabled the port in inittab and made sure the gettydef was set to &quot;o&quot; (9600)in inittab. <br><br>You indicated it sounded like there might be a speed conflict. Is there something else I need to change ? Where else should I check ? Is there another setting I need to change or indicate port speed at ?<br><br><br><br>Help is needed <br><br>-Danny <p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

MPI makes some changes for you that is difficult to make without it. See if digi can help you with the upchuck problem.<br>MPI enables some speed mapping for higher baud rates in their configuration screen. It allows you to assign 100 baud & 300 baud to a higher rate. You indicate you want one rate and the digi board knows to assign a higher rate.<br>I usually change my gettydefs tokens for 1, 2, &3 to point to themselves and change 3 to be 9600b.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just a flag to me that any alpha is a terminal and any number is a modem. And I never use baud rate swapping anyway. Who would of thought that at 5.0.5 we would still have the primary modem speeds of 300b, 1200b and 2400b.<br>Think that your MPI problem is masking the need for the modem port to be B16.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is a signal to drivers that it is a modem, and to set autoanswer on initialization. In MPI you would set the port to be dialup and inittab would be changed to acrivate the modem side (same port, different initialization) and kick the modem into AA. On ring detect it would write some registers and give login.<br>Speaking of login, see what whodo or ps -t port# gives as process. should be running getty. And you could hook a terminal in parallel with the modem to see what is transpiring between the port and modem, one line at a time.<br>Will be thinking some more on it. <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>

What kind of modem? What kind of cable? Can you add the uucp devices needed to be able to talk to the modem?&nbsp;&nbsp;Some port devices need null modem cables.&nbsp;&nbsp;Do you have a voltmeter? With the modem connected both pins 2 & 3 should have -12 or thereabouts with respect to pin 7.&nbsp;&nbsp;If only one has the -12 then you have need of null.<br>Have never had experience with SMP.&nbsp;&nbsp;Does single user allow you to use MPI? Is there a way of temporarily disabling SMP?<br>Will think some more. <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>

I have not tried using MPI in single user mode. I will give a try. I have been talking with DIGI. They seem to think that the driver I have linked in the kernal may be an issue.<br><br>SMP can be disable by removing its software package and relinking the kernal. <br><br>I am still not sure whats going on with my modems. I tend to think my MPI problem is related.<br><br>Thanks for the help edfair.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br> <p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I assume the modem you are using has speed capability of greater than 9600 baud. My experience with installing modems on SCO, perhaps a hundred or more, is to set them up as follows:<br><br>1) set line speed to 115,200 baud for the upper case port ttyB16 (/etc/inittab)<br>2) go to /usr/lib/uucp and set the lower case, ttyb16, port as a direct port at 115,200<br>3) cu to the modem (cu -l ttyb16)<br>4) check the settings in the modem (for US Robotics: ATI4)<br>5) the speed shown should match 115,200, write the settings, AT&W0<br><br>You now have the modem set to communicate from modem to serial port at 115,200. Any connection of less than 115,200 will work. If you get connections greater than 115,200 (good luck!), you will get data overflows. That is probably what is happening to your 9600 baud setup. A connection at 33,600 would overflow the modem's capability to transmit to the serial port at 9600.<br><br>SCO has a TA on this that you can look for in their support library.

Danny,<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;You said you set the baud rate to 9600 in inittab but &quot;o&quot; is not 9600, &quot;m&quot; is 9600, &quot;o&quot; would be 38400. I hope this helps, since we set all of our customers' modems to a speed of 9600. <br><br>Take care,<br>

Thanks, glennl <br><br>That was a type-o on my part. Inittab was set to &quot;m&quot; <br><br>Thanks<br><br> <p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Are you able to communicate with the modem ?<br>I have three usr33.6 faxmodems hung on 3.2v4.2 with the following showing with ati4:<br>B0 E0 F1 M1 Q1 V1 X4 Y0<br>and the following & commands:<br>A0 B0 C1 D3 G0&nbsp;&nbsp;H0 I0 K0 M0 N6 P0 R1 S0 T5 U6 Y1<br><br>setup for these is stored in /dev/Dialers under hayes2400 which is the driver of choice <br>and ACU and direct are in Devices along with a direct for the non modem side so I can talk to the modem with forced rts/cts in case the internal registers get corrupted.<br><br>the only special item is the &n6 and&nbsp;&nbsp;&u6 which lock the modems into 9600.<br> <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>

Please help!!!!
I am having so much trouble over a dialin modem on a SCO unix box.
It sounds simple but we have spent 2 days now with the same problem.
Until last week we had a modem set-up on our SCO unix box which accepted incoming calls, and allowed the operator to access our system.
Now however when ever we connect it comes up with garbled characters, e.g. ; $#'c$ ;`d$<$$`; G;l$`ó$ÄI''$[nÄc2[llL6oF{[n@
We have checked the configuration files, /etc/inittab, line for our modem is:
Se1A:234:respawn:/etc/getty -t60 tty1A o
and our /usr/lib/uucp/Devices is:
Direct tty1A - 38400 direct
and our /etc/gettydefs file has an entry in for the above:
o # B38400 HUPCL # B38400 CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB3 #\r\nlogin: # o
The settings on our Dial in Software (I am using HyperTerm) are set to:
Port Speed: 38400
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
and Emulation: vt100.

What can I try to fix this any ideas appreciated.
With regards
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back