Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to delete web share

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeppsenc

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
US
Under Properties for one web server on my Windows 2000 box I see the root marked as a web share. The only alias listed is "/". I am unable to delete the alias, and I cannot disable the share! If I click the button to stop sharing the machine goes to an hour glass for a few seconds and then returns with the "share this folder" marked and the "/" alias still in the list. Another server in the same box does not have this problem. Can anyone advise me how to get rid of this?

Is that server running IIS?
Right click my computer/manage, then expand "services and applications", then "Internet information services".

Expand the lists and look for the default website and see if it's running. If you can, right-click on it, choose "stop", then try to select "not shared" in the root web sharing properties. Then, restart the default website again if applicable.

You should not be running IIS with the c:\ shared explicitly. That is a serious risk to security..especially if that machine has direct access from the internet.

If you need more help, or are confused..post back and i'll try to be more clear. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Yes, this server is running IIS. I stopped the server and tried to turn off the share but it still stalls for a few seconds and then comes back with the share marked as enabled.

Do you have antivirus software on this server? You should if it's not locked down with IIS lockdown at the minimum. You could have the Nimda virus sharing your root by default. Look into that asap. Some setting, service, or program is preventing you from removing the share, and it's on that server. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back