Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to delete items from add/remove programs list

Status
Not open for further replies.

seawolves121

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
US
i have a couple of files in my add/remove list that i can't remove from the list. the thing is that these programs aren't anywhere else in my computer. is this a problem?

no, it's not a problem, ut if u would like to remove these files,u have to go to your registry and delete the keys in there..i may guide you.

re install the programs you can't delete from add/remove and then try deleting them.

i tried to reinstall the programs and then delete them. now there are two files with the same name in my list that aren't installed on my computer.

This is a common problem when the programs are deleted manually through explorer.exe rather than by using the "Add/Remove Programs" icon in control panel.

DO NOT re-install (I know too late for this advice) the programs. This causes more headaches down the line.

If you are familiar with the registry navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

This is where you will find all the names (DisplayName) associated with the programs you see in the "Add/Remove" list.

If you look closely at values stored in each key, you will find useful information about where the program is stored etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back