Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to delete empty address book view, insufficient rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pesh

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2000
GB
Exchange server 5.5 SP4 on NT4 SP6
I'm unable to delete empty address book views, I get "DS_E_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS" when trying. The same thing happens when using the 'Remove Empty Containers' util.
I have no other access problems. The views were created on this server. There are no hidden recipients. I've even tried loggin on as the exchange service account but still get the same problem.
Has anybody come across this before ?

THanks

Yes - this has happened several times. As we have several sites, and servers. I run the Remove Empty Container on all sites, and usually this will clear out the empty address view. Even though the views were created on one server, the empty view seems to come from another server.

aekw13

I've found a resolution to this issue on another discussion site. Replace the existing dsamain.exe with the dsamain.exe from service pack 3. This is microsofts solution and it works.

Yup did this today.

Basically we changed the Heuristics so that the permissions didn't propogate for some reason. I clearly verified we had rights on the View and still couldn't remove it.

Placed in SP3 dsamain and worked no problem. I guess that will be fixed in SP5 :) Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

You can delete them by logging in as the service account. But to fix the problem see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article's Q282184 and Q248398. Basically

1) Login as service acount
2) start Exchange Server Admin program in raw mode.
3) Click Address Book container, then click raw properties on the file menu.
4) In the 'List attributes of type' list, click all.
5) Click Heuristics in the list of attributes.
6) Set value to 1, click Set and then OK.

According to Q282184 "The meaning of the heuristic bit is actually reversed in Service Pack 4 from any earlier fixes"

So setting the heuristics bit to 0 (or if it is not set at all) means - Block inheritance of the permissions from the site container

And setting the bit to 1 means - the Address Book Views object inherits permissions from the site naming context.

TADA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back