Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to delete a .art file. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotfusion

Technical User
Jan 20, 2001
GB
I recently downloaded a schematic in .art format, but when I went to delete it I got the 'access denied' box, which said the file must be write-protected or still in use. The file isn't write-protected and isn't in use. Anyone else had this problem and does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Hi Andy,

You may wish to try rebooting your machine to the command promp and then deleting it that way.

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to let them and others know the information was of use.

first of all, go to explorer, find the file and do a right click to discover any attributes assigned to the file.
If there are no atrributes assigned, go to the command line run mode, and delete in that method.

Good Luck! and have a Great Day

Thanks guys, you've both suggested the same solution so I assume that's the only way to do it. One embarrasing question though, what is the correct command line for this? (deltree?) and does anyone know why this file should behave in this annoying fasion? Cheers. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Andy,

You DO NOT want to use deltree!

Once your at the command prompt for the directory that the file in question is at, just type in: Del *.art
You will want to replace the * with the file name or you will delete all your .art files.
If you are not confident in doing this just let me know and I will walk you through it over the phone.

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to let them and others know the information was of use.

Thanks, Chuck, I just needed to be sure as I rarely venture into DOS except for re-installs, scandisk, registry backups etc. From your reaction I take it that 'deltree' removes the whole lot, not just the required folder. O.K., so at the prompt do I simply type in the file path- e.g. f:\blah\thingy\etc? Yhanks. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Andy,

At the C:\ you would type in:

Del f:\blah\thingy\filename.art

And that would delete the specific file :)

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

No more questions! :-D Thanks for your prompt replies, you've been very helpful - as I've found everyone to be on this forum. Cheers, Andy. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Chuck, if you return here, I tried the suggestion but got an error message saying 'too many parameters'. Unfortunately, I can't shorten the .art file's name as it won't allow me to.(Schematic Pt.1.art) Obviously too many characters for DOS to handle. Any ways to get around this one? Or do I just hide the file somewhere and try to forget about it? :p My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

It's probably that extra . that is causing the problems. If you have a look in the directory in dos, it may have a file with a name like schema~1 or similar. If you think that's the file, type the name out as you see it. It may work :)

Try this. Right click on Schematic Pt.1.art and click properties. Write down the ms-dos name for the file. Then restart to dos and try the del command but use that file's ms-dos name. That should work.

If not try this. In Windows Explorer create a folder named Junk in the root directory. Now see if you can drag and drop that file into the Junk folder. Then go into dos and delete that folder.

First right click on the Junk folder and select properties. Write down the Ms-Dos name for the folder. Then restart to dos and type the following lines and press enter after each. (I'm assuming the ms-dos name for the Junk folder is actually Junk. Of course substitute the ms-dos folder name into the following commands.)

cd c:
attrib -h -r -s c:\Junk

del Junk

exit

I think those commands are right but my dos is a bit rusty as I rarely need to use it.

I have a lot of ~vm42aa.tmp, ~vm42a8.tmp, etc... files in my C drive, I don't know where they came from and I cannot get rid of them, what for are them? what can I do?
sixtyseisdedosX-)

Check the properties to make sure they are not read-only, if they are, untick the read-only box. They are either temporary files that have not been deleted by the program that created them due to a system crash or badly written software, or temporary files currently being used by a program or the system. If the files dates are not today, it should be safe to delete them. If you are at all unsure, create a new directory and move them to it, if you don't get any error messages, it is safe to delete them. If this doesn't work post back with the error message you are getting.

Andy,

I would go with the suggestions of Paulwood and Kento, either of those suggestions should work for you.

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

Hey Cassaro, Paulwood and Kento, it didn't occur to me at first but I tried to delete in safe mode and it worked!! I was a bit surprised though! Thanks again for your suggestions - it is reassuring to know that I can tap into this vast knowledge base. Doesn't explain why this file was being such a pain, though! Maybe AOL have the answer? Possibly it's to do with WAOL which loads from within win.ini, having some hold on the file, indicating it as still in use? Don't know.
Cheers all. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back