Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to count instances

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrentJ

Technical User
Aug 2, 2004
US
I have a list box (status box) based on a query (daily status query) with fields Rank, Last Name, First Name, MI, MOS, Status, Remarks (the list box is bound to Last Name). Status is a combo box with 6 possible values. I need to count the instances of each value and display each count at the bottom of the form. I have tried every possible way I can think to write the expression, using count, dcount, counting in a seperate query and then sum on the column but it always comes up #error. I have also tried using count on the table directly. I have even tried putting a subform in the form based on the query and using count with the subform.

=Count([Soldier Data subform1].Form!Status="Present For Duty")

I'm not real familiar with count so perhaps I'm not using the proper format for the expression. Thanks for any help.

And what about a continuous subform with RowSource set to something like this:
SELECT Status, Count(*) As Total FROM yourTable GROUP BY Status;

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

That didn't work for me but I did get it to work by entering an expression into a blank field in the query (Just found out you could do that).

(SELECT Count(Status)FROM [Soldier Data] WHERE Status = "Present For Duty")

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back