Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to copy and paste from or to IE 6 address box. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

diogenes10

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
US
Win98SE, IE6, sp1.

When I right click and highlight the information in the address box, then go to another location and right click, the paste option is greyed out and unusable.

I tried repair IE, sfc for win98se, downloading IE updates, and restoring spybot scan done yesterday afternoon.
I cant think of a google phrase that gets me much help.

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

Under Internet Options on the Security tab, check under each heading > Custom level and make sure "Disable" isn't selected under "Drag and drop or copy and paste files"

Drag and drop is enabled.
For line 1802 in registry, folders 0,1,2,3 show (0) at the end of the string of numbers
folder 4 shows (1)
so all appears to be in order there.

Just curious...can you paste using Ctrl+v or is that out of order too...?

Ive not use control keys before, but if i'm using them right, they do not work either.

I've looked at this a little more and Im starting to get confused. I thought I was trying to do what I've done before, but I cant remember for sure, and maybe I'm trying to do something Im not supposed to be able to do.

I have a bunch of references/links whatever the right word is, moved out of favorites in another area of my harddrive.

I pick one - it is labeled download.com - zero assumption .
I right click choose copy, then click on desktop, right click choose paste, everything works fine.

Pick the same line, right click choose copy, click on this tek-tips screen, the paste option is inaccesible. However if I right click on the file, choose properties, and then copy the material highlighted on the line called url, it pastes.

Right click on the file, choose copy, attempt to paste in the browser address line, paste is inaccessible. However if i double click (left key) on the file, it opens in a browser window, and I can then copy the contents of the address line in that window to a browser address line in another window. But I am unable to then copy the contents of the address line to my desktop. I have to save it to favorites and then copy from the favorites folder to a backup location.

As long as im copying inside browser windows or outside the browser, things seem to be going ok, but it doesnt work well going between the two. Is something not working right, or is that the way it is supposed to be and Im just remembering wrong?

Pick the same line, right click choose copy, click on this tek-tips screen, the paste option is inaccesible.

Right click on the file, choose copy, attempt to paste in the browser address line, paste is inaccessible.

This behavior is identical on both of the 98 machines I have at my immediate disposal. I think I'm reading you right...just not sure why you want to do this. I believe that what you're experiencing is normal.

The regsrv reference is too cryptic for my level of knowledge. Looking at the win98 cd and the resource kit it looks like something to do with remote administration of the registry, I dont think that is enabled on my system but I dont know how to tell for sure.

The why

Im overwhelmed with references I cant remember. I google for something, see a reference or two I like, and add them to favorites. I see references in tek-tips posts like the stuff you and pansophic just posted in the security forum and I add to favorites. To try to make some sense out of that Ive made a series of directories for categories and copied stuff out of the favorites directory into that variety of categorized subdirectories. This morning i was cleaning out a long series of entries in favorites again and I saw an entry that I thought was relevant to a thread I'd read yesterday, so I tried to copy it into a tek-tips answer box and it didnt work. I guess Ive always copied into those boxes from a web page before.

I apologize for the effort you've put out looking at this-Im pretty weak in windows knowledge-You dont seem to miss too much and I began to suspect I was in an understanding problem when the other things you suggested didnt show a problem.

The URLs on this site are "truncated" so that the display width does not change with a long URL.

On this site, or any with truncation, right-click and select 'Copy Shortcut' and not 'Copy' and then it will work.

bcastner

Copy shortcut is not an option for me when I'm starting from the storage area of references on my harddrive or from the address line of the browser. It does appear as an option for me if I try to copy out of the tek-tips answer boxes.

Yesterday I tried to make a post directly from my harddrive reference area into a tek-tips box and was unable to do so, in the past I must have opened those references into a browser window first and then copied the reference from the browser window into the tek-tips box. That's apparently the procedure I need to follow in the future.

In looking again, I discovered another partial answer to going the other way-I see that favorites allows a choice of a save to location-I'd not noticed that before. It is just interesting to me that I have to go through favorites to cross the browser/rest of system barrier and cant cross it by copying directly from the address line of the browser.

The whole process is controlled by OLE "Object Linking and Embedding" and yours does not appear to be working correctly.

From a command line try re-registering the OLE dll as I mentioned earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back