Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to connect to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

waydown

Programmer
Apr 27, 2009
GB
Hi,
I'm new to all this. Created a web server on OpenSuse Leap 42.2. I've checked that apache (httpd) service is running. I've also checked that port 80 is open and listening. I also disabled firewall for testing purposes. Yet when I try to connect to server from another machine using IP address there is no connection. I'm using yougetsignal Port Forwarding Tester as well as firewallruletest.com to try and establish tcp connections. I would be grateful for any suggestions as to what else I should do to establish connection.

Okay, lets break this down so we are talking the same language;

Define
"Created a web server"
As Apache, IIS etc. are "web servers"

So do you mean a machine running a web server?

And;

Is this machine on a LAN or the Internet

is it dedicated hardware, or a VM?

"Yet when I try to connect to server from another machine using IP address there is no connection"

From the local network or external?

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Yes it is a machine running a web server, specifically Apache/2.4.23. The machine is using a wireless card to connect via a router to the internet. There is another machine with Windows 7 that has a wired connection to the same router and can connect to the internet. The machine with Apache is a dedicated server. The two machines are not configured to communicate with each other.

The machine is using a wireless card to connect via a router to the internet. There is another machine with Windows 7 that has a wired connection to the same router and can connect to the internet.

Okay, some ISP supplied 'domestic' routers have a feature called "Wireless Isolation" which means that 'wireless' devices cannot communicate with 'wired' devices. Basically it creates two isolated subnets to reduce the security implications of having an 'open' wireless network or a router that also acts as a "Wireless Hotspot" for your ISP (it's in the very, very small print of your contract agreement somewhere way past the, "Oh I can't be bothered reading this waffle any further" point).

You need to check if both machines are using the same IP range and subnet mask.

The two machines are not configured to communicate with each other.
But can they 'see' each other on the LAN?
Try
Code:
sudo arp-scan --interface=wlan0 --localnet'
from the Linux box to see what IPs are visible. (replace wlan0 with the name of your wireless device name)

Have you disabled the router remote management UI or changed the port, as that generally 'listens' on port 80 if you are trying to connect using the external IP.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

The machine that is setup to be your webserver needs to have a static ip address on the LAN side as well as the WAN side. Your router connects the two. The WAN or internet side of the router has a public ip address assigned to it. This is the one that dns servers use to point a web address to your ip. As ChrisHirst has said, the world cannot see your LAN. You need to tell your router to send all http traffic to an internal ip (LAN)address on port 80. This is called port forwarding. Let's say your router's internal ip is 192.168.1.1. Then your server needs to be on the same subnet i.e. 192.168.1.xxx. Your router usually has a set ip range for the dhcp pool. This where the machines on your intranet get the dynamic ip addresses automatically. You need to set a static ip address outside of that dhcp range. Chances are, if you set the server's ip to something like 192.168.1.10, you should be well outside of the routers dhcp range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back