Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'Unable to connect to remote server' when trying to pick up RSS feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

markknowsley

Programmer
Aug 30, 2005
GB
I'm trying to write small asp.net app to pick up and display data from an RSS feed. I've used the code sample available on and modified it into C#.

When I run the app, I get the following (summarised) error message:

Unable to connect to remote server - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

I've tried two different RSS feeds on two different websites, and presume that the problem lies with my network security settings rather than public web servers refusing a connection. I know that there is a proxy server running here, so if I enter username, password and domain of the proxy should that let me talk to the website, or will I need to take further steps?

Thanks,

Mark.

presume that the problem lies with my network security settings rather than public web servers refusing a connection
That's almost certainly the case and as you've identified it could well be the proxy server that is causing the issue. It could also be firewall settings so I'd suggest turning off whatever you can to at least get it working first.

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

So if I did something like:

Code:
System.Net.WebProxy proxy = new System.Net.WebProxy("proxyname");
        proxy.Credentials = new System.Net.NetworkCredential("username", "password", "domain");
        System.Net.WebRequest.DefaultWebProxy = proxy;

followed by my code to set up XmlTextReader, pick up RSS etc. I should be ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back