Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to connect to Internet: IE Enhanced Security enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonun

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2001
US
I just installed the enterprise edition of win2003 server. After installation I gave it a static IP. Then when I tried to open IE I got a "IE Enhanced Security enabled" and it would not open any site on the internet. I tried diff IPs which worked on other machines, but met with the same result.
I went into Internet Options and set all the security options to low. But still, no luck. I thought there migth be something with the network jack, hud, IP, but I could use other PCs with the same resource to coonect to the Internet.
However it can connect to other machines, resources on the LAN/Intranet.
Now, this is a fresh install, couple of minutes old. I accepted default options during install. I dont know what I could have missed.
Please advise.

Also, on the same server, when I am tryingto installa portal application whcih needs IIS6, I get a error message saying that I dont have IIS6 which halts the installation. Now I thought that Win2003 server comes with IIS6.
Please advise.

you should add the web into your internet site or intranet site. or quoted from

How to disable Display enhanced security configuration dialog
Go to Internet Options>Advanced, uncheck Display enhanced security configuration dialog.

For more tips or information, go to
Robert, MS-MVP/MCSE and CNE
Networking, Internet, routing & VPN Support, Tips and FAQs on

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

I actually had done that, but no luck.
??

You can un-install the IE Security from add/remove under Windows Component.

Thanks. I dont get that message anymore now. But, I am still unable to connect.
Maybe its a IP, Hub, network issue ??
Please advise.

Hello. I have a simmilar problem, with connecting the server to internet. I use a broadband connection that comes to my linux server for nat and vpn network delivery. i got a enterprise edition of the nt server so i just installed it, with no luck accessing the network. the problem is i can't access anything else except the "localhost" the intranet ip 192.* i am using is intact, but i can't access neither other lan workstations nor internet based. What to do? Some reciepies, oh and the box is connected to lan :=), i can perfectly access it with my bsd.

did anyone figure this out?

i'm having the same problem...unable to connect to internet
-disabled enhanced security configuration
-can ping own IP
-can not ping public IP

i plugged the same connection into my laptop running xp, changed the ip, mask, gateway, dns to match the server and i get on the internet with no problem.

what's up with win2k3...any suggestions?

The other solution for the initial and subsequent issue is to right click internet explorer, Properties, click security tab, and reduce the security level from high to medium. This still safeguards your IE without having to remove the Security pack and allows you to customise the security controls and level!

How new is the installation? By default DNS is not loaded. Has DNS been installed?

Mitmont

You might try going to network connections , select advance settings and turn off firewall. I had to do this to install AD.

DHCP must not be installed while first installation or before your first time connect to the internet.

BTW, I uninstalled DHCH and DNS, and tried to connect again, it's ok and then continued installing DHCP and DNS (actually, I don't need DHCP at all)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back