Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to connect to a DB when the application is deployed

Status
Not open for further replies.

slapierre

Programmer
Feb 3, 2004
CA
I'm using a TDataBase component to open SQL tables through an ODBC driver (MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver), and a TTable component to add and update the records.

The application is working fine on my computer so I deployed it with the following copiler options :
. Linker -> Linking -> Use Dynamic RTL : Unchecked
. Packages -> Runtime packages -> Build with Runtime packages : Unchecked

Now, when I try the software on another computer (who has the ODBC driver installed and the user is properly configured, but hasn't BCB6 installed), I can't connect to the database :

In a try/catch block, the calling of the TDataBase connection method (DB_Database->Connected = true;) generates this exception : "An error occured while attempting to initialize the Borland Database Engine (error $2108)"

Is this error generated because the TDataBase object is not correctly configured or do I need to install some sort of database engine? Perhaps the TDataBase is not the right DB object to use in this situation...

Simon Lapierre
slapierre@sonomax.com

The error indicates that the TDataBase is expecting a DBE connection and not an ODBC connection. Are you certain that the database components are using the ODBC? Borland installs DBE by default.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.[/sup]

Well... The ODBC connection can be established through the BDE since it's working fine on my computer. I found that I need to deploy the Borland Database Engine along with the application in order to access tables, now I need to find out how.

Which type of BCB6 are you using, Personal, Professional, or Developer? The reason I'm asking is if you are using the Developer, you can use the ADO components. That way, you don't have to deploy BDE.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.[/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back