Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to complete your request...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spotnruby

MIS
Sep 23, 1999
US
I'm becoming frustrated with Photoshop 6.0 selection tools. For some reason, after working fine for about 5 or 10 minutes, when I use a selection tool all of a sudden it gives me the following error: "Adobe Photoshop 6.0 Unable to complete your request due to a program error."

Why? it is very frustrating. I've updated, re-installed and yelled and nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

I had similar errors using PS60 with NT4.0 and only 128M RAM... go to Adobe website and download the latest 6.0 patches, and if you are only using 128M RAM it is time to upgrade... 256M is minimum, more is better.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

that is kinda true and kinda not at school i get the same prob like 1 time a week we run dual pentium 3 1.2-or so and each has 512 megs of ram on them we run windows 2000 we get the error when the computer sits for a long time and we have clip art disks in the cdrom drive. and the selection tool trouble happens to all computers have the same everything except some have the usal game on them no internet hook up in that lab and we dont take or zip disks home so very few chances of virus's and we clean up games and stuff alot and we keep it the HD clean and it seems to happen on certion computers some do it more than others and some hardly ever do it but i get that about once a week I use about 3 or 4 differnt computers in a week so I would do a lil research about it

I've done the update to 6.0.1. I've checked out the Adobe website forum and they suggest installing the Adobe PostScript Printer Driver. I've done that today and will see if it helps alleviate the problem.

If it doesn't I may blow it up and go back to 5.5 until they get the bugs worked out.

>>I may blow it up and go back to 5.5 until they get the bugs worked out.<<

I did that! PS5.5 seems to work problem free, 6.0 gives me major headaches as well as being IMHO a bloated app. It takes over a minute to load on my PIII 500mhz running NT4.0. So unless I really need one of the new options, I just use 5.5. And if I do need the web-based options, I usually go to Macromedia Fireworks. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Bad News my friends. PS was designed to run on the Macintosh architechture and had to be bastardized in order to make up for Windows short-comings (and theres plenty). Windows, conversly was never designed to create graphics, crunch numbers for rendering... Yes. Allow for creative freedom with the selection tools... NO.

As for your problem, your out of scratch disk room and Windows didnt know how else to tell you. You also probably have a ton of fonts in your system fonts folder and some monster ps.temp files laying around. Do a search on My Computer for invisible files over 25 megs. You should find a couple files named pstemp or something followed by a long meaningless number. Delete all these as they are only Undo's Windows didnt know how to get rid of. Close PS before you do that of course. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Doh! Thanx jAQUAN! I completely overlooked increasing the size of the scratch disk. And you point about the fonts is also one of my rants. Most people overlook the problems that are caused by excessive or corrupt fonts. Use a font management system (read my FAQ about &quot;I cannot open my document&quot; under pagemaker... much of it is applicable to other apps, esp. the fonts issues) and keep your installed fonts to a manageable 100 or so. If you have 1400 fonts including bijillions from dubious sources, then you can count on troubles.

The differences in platforms aside, and the fact that almost all Adobe products are designed for Macs first, there is no reason why a PC user cannot get their graphics apps working as well as any Mac. It just soemtimes takes a little bit of work and ingenuity. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back