Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to compile 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

makrohard

Technical User
May 2, 2000
DE
I have written a huge prog in msqb uning the lib qb.qlb and the sub absolute.<br>I was not able to compile it, because of it´s size, so I splitted it up into 3 files. now I can compile two of them, the third tells me <br>´^ Überlauf des Programmspeichers´ means overflow of the program memory...<br>2nd: This Prog does crash any computer wihout a DOS-Mousedriver (Sub Absolute) and does not respond an err-code, why?<br>I would be glad if anyone out there could help me , because I need this Prog in ca 2 weeks...<br>

You may have to break it up into smaller files (perhaps somewhat less than 12kb each). I assume that at least one of your BAS files is larger. Also, make sure they are saved as text and not with the &quot;fast load and save&quot; option selected. <p> <br><a href=mailto:InterruptX@excite.com>InterruptX@excite.com</a><br><a href= Contingency Implementation</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

It is nearly impossible to spit the prog in such small files, because of its complexity. No file is larger than 64 kb, I saves it as text. Thanx 4 your reply-

You should try one of these to see if it works: <br><br>1) try on a system that has more memory (if available).. <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;..if not, then remove any TSRs you may have running <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(with the exception of memory managers), exit any <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;shells, reduce size of buffers, et cetra..anything to<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;give you more memory and try compiling again.<br><br>2) if you still get an 'OVERFLOW' message, in the book <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;entitled &quot;Microsoft(R) QuickBASIC(TM)&quot; it states: <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&quot;OVERFLOW--The result of a calculation is too large to <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;be represented within the range allowed for either <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;floating-point or integer number. (Run-time error)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[ERR code:6]&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;Based on this, I recommend that you <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;review your variables and check to see which one may <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;need to be upgraded to a possible Double-precision <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;number (the '#' symbol).&nbsp;&nbsp;-OR-&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;set all variable to <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DEFDBL (but of course more memory would be useful).<br><br>As for the mouse, I would recommend that you use the <br>INTERRUPT 33h instead of the ABSOLUTE.&nbsp;&nbsp;From what I have <br>read, the INTERRUPT uses the existing &quot;MOUSE DRIVER <br>SOFTWARE&quot; as an interface to the mouse. Whereas the <br>ABSOLUTE code requires that the mouse be placed in <br>very specific memory seg.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you are interested in <br>attempting to use the INTERRUPT function I would recommend <br>that you visit the Microsoft(R) web site, click on &quot;PRODUCT <br>SUPPORT SERVICES&quot; and then search for (by article) <br>&quot;Application Note HD1008&quot; or (by subject) &quot;Programming the <br>Microsoft Mouse under MS-DOS(R)&quot;<br><br>Good Luck.&nbsp;&nbsp;:cool:

Whats up, my name is Alan<br><br>If anyone would like to help me work on an OS like win98 but with a few things that win98 dosent have then e-main me at <A HREF="mailto:shelbyhacker@yahoo.com">shelbyhacker@yahoo.com</A><br>

Try to compile with bc.exe /ah yourprog.bas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back