Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to change password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi friends,

I am facing a strange problem.I have got Solaris 8 . The users are not able to change their passwords themselves. Root can change their password but when the user tries to change the password :-

$ id
uid=1104(som1) gid=102(qpegdev)
$ passwd
passwd: Changing password for som1
Permission denied

I have also verified the permissions on /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd file. The permissions are default of the OS.
I tried creating other id with same uid and gid, we get the same error and also if i try to create other user with diff uid and gid.. I get the same error.
I have also tried running the command pwconv but in vain.
Any help on this will be really appreciated.

Are you running NIS if so you need to issue the command: - passwd -r

We use PAM and users can not change their own password, to check if this applies to you run passwd -s user_name
If it the response is "user_name LK" then the password is locked and only super user can change it.
Ged Jones

Top man

Hi,
Thx for the response.We are not using NIS on this server.The o/p of the commands are as follows:-

$ passwd -s
Permission denied
and
$ passwd <user-name>
Permission denied

Any other suggestions!!!

What are the permissions on passwd? Ours are:

-r-sr-sr-x 3 root sys 99668 Sep 14 2001 /usr/bin/passwd

If that's any help.

Hi,

You should try to run &quot;passwd -s som1&quot; as root.

OR you can check /etc/shadow directly.

Hi all,
Thx a lot for the responses.
Ken,
U were right. The permissions had changed on the /usr/bin/passwd file. The setuid bit wasn't there.HOw did it happen, still needs to be found out, but after changing the permission, the problem was solved.

Thx a lot again to everyone.

when you have such problem, try running following command as root. It will take few minutes before it finishes.

#pkgchk -f

This will fix many system's permissions and symbolic links to original, which are altered by some 3rd party software and broken OS patches.

You also might want to check if you've been the victim of a Trojan (someone sub'd the passwd binary for their own, and has now collected passwords).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back