Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to change file attribute in windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITProfessional

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2001
US
I have a windows 2000 advanced server. we created a ftp setup on it. The ftp users created their directory structure for their website. they have created very long name structure. If u start drilling down to some of the last files from the whole path (i.e. E:\fileelmemememe\direcodkdd\...............\........\etct etc..\ ), the total number of characters increases by 256 charachters(which i assume windows supports). and some of the files have also a name containing 150 characters.
Now the problem is that although they have copied this file (it is a doc file), but now no once can do any thing with this file. (ie. rename, copy, paste, delete etc). including administrator . I tried both windows explorer and DOS to rename, copy, or delete this file, but invain.
I am wondering now that once this ftp requirement is completed , how will i delete this file (and others) to clean up my disk. ? Whenever I try to check the properties of the file, it says
"The properties of this item are not available".
Any idea to solve this issue.
thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back