Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to change field

Status
Not open for further replies.

billheath

Technical User
Mar 17, 2000
US
I have a form based on a query. Under the field "Remarkstxt" is miscellaneous informational text. I have 1 which refuses to let me enter or change text. I get a pop up which states "Unable to change field. Changed by another user.' Since I am the only one who has access to this DB, I know no one has changed anything. I tried Repair database but it didn't help. Thanks for your suggestions.

Do you have the a record source containing the Remarkstxt field open in another form or updated via code?

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Aside from it actually being changed elsewhere as Duane suggested...

Compact and Repair your database, the backend if it is a split application.

If it is still going on, verify there are not validation rules on the control or underlying field causing the message. Check any event code is not causing the message (a belated April's fool's joke?)

The stuff I would go through if it is just misbehaving...

Exit access, verify the locking files are gone ".laccdb".

If not, backup both files (make a copy) and try deleting the locking file. Compact and repair again.
If you can't delete the locking file, check task manager for another msaccess.exe process... end it if you find one... Try again.​
If no process and can't delete locking file, restart the computer and try again.​
If you are still getting the same results, see about suspending your AV software temporarily (that is turn it back on after you are done) to check again.​

Once it is freshly compacted and lock file is gone, if it persists try editing directly in the table.
If there is an error, you might try removing and reentering the data. At least save it to text and look at it and reimport. Do not copy to excel nor copy and paste the record, whatever garbage data will likely follow the paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back