Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to change drive assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

palliser2

Technical User
Nov 27, 2001
CA
We recently added a new drive(D:\) I need to change the drive letter from D:\ to M:\ but cannot seem to do this. I have gone into
- System Properties
-Device Manager
-Settings
-Current Drive Letter Assignment
But am unable to reassign the letter D to M. The area is greyed out. Any Tricks you would know about that I do not know. I need to change this Drive assignment because we are using software that creates files and stores the original drive letter and path. It would be just too much work to go into all our projects and reassign the path. Using Windows 98 and administrator privs seem ok to be able to do what I want.
Thanks,
Kelly

A couple of things to try...

First, partition the drive as one extended partition with however many logical drives you want...just one I am guessing.

Try changing the setting that indicates the drive is removeable and reboot. Then see if you can change the drive letter. I know you can change the drive letters on removeable drives...not sure if you can with hard disks......outside of running NT, W2K, or XP.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

The first partition of the second hard drive IS ALWAYS going to receive the D:. Windows 4.x is only a superannuated DOS on steroids. You can't create an extended partition on the second drive until you've created a primary partition. The reason for this is because the master boot record contains the information about the drives partitions. There is only space for 4 drives. You can have up to 4 primary partitions or 3 primary and 1 extended partition. The information about the logical drives in the extended partition is stored in the extended partions boot record.There may be a third party utility which may be able to do this, but I doubt it. Don Swayser
swayser@optonline.net

Don,

You are incorrect...you do not need to create a primary partition in addition or prior to an extended partition. You only need a primary partition if you are going to boot off the drive. This is how you get around your statement "The first partition of the second hard drive IS ALWAYS going to receive the D:"

For a quick breakdown on how DOS and ultimately Windows assigns drive letters, you can refer to MS article Q51978.

Also, there are a slew of 3rd party utilties that can define these as well as many other partition types outside of using the native DOS utilities...PartitionMagic being the most notable.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back