Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to change ACL on database

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhudson

Technical User
Mar 8, 2001
US
A user who has since left the company created a database and allowed only himself to manage the ACL. Even logged on as administrator, I am unable to change it. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

You could create a new copy of the database and make sure that you deselect Copy ACL settings.

If you have an issue with that try making the copy to a local drive and not a server drive or you could try opening the database on the server assuming that an administration server had been selected in the ACL it would/should have manager rights...

I tried to create a copy of the database on the server, deselecting the option to copy the ACL, but it squawked about not being able to overwrite it.

What I wound up doing was to contact the person who created the database and getting his Notes password. His ID was still on the server, so I logged on as him and gained ownership of the database.

I will try your suggestion on a different database and see if the same thing happens with it. Thanks for the help!

I tried to post here the other day, but Tek-Tips went down once again. -Sigh- I do have a variation to note though.
We had this exact same problem last week. The old webmaster/Lotus Designer had been gone for a year when we discovered a low-maintenance database to which only he had manager rights and to which we suddenly needed them.

Like you, we used his user.id, but with a variation. He left under bad terms so we could not contact him. We've kept copies of all the original user.id files that Domino Administrator creates and stores for us, even when the user leaves, which is perfect for this scenario. We've also maintained a hidden sheet which logs all the original passwords, so we indexed it to find his original ID. All that was left was to recertify the ID file with Domino Administrator before using the ID to sign in and change the database ACL.

As to creating the new copy of the database just make sure you change the name of the file to be different than the original or save it to a different directory and you should be fine....

Thanks, guys, you have given me some great tips on avoiding this type problem in the future. I'll have to make sure I don't lose this user's ID file and password.

I wasn't aware that I'd need to change the name of the database in order to create a new copy of it - Note's help files leave a lot to be desired at times.

Thanks again to all you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back