Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to browse the network!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSiva

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2002
US
Hi all,

Let me put the problem this way!

I have four Windows 98SE pc's Networked together. Both Netbeui and TCP/IP were loaded in all PC's. But no IP was given.

The setup was working fine. Recently one machine I set the IP address for some ftp purpose. Then that machine is browsable only in one machine.

E.g

Four pc's A B C and D - in all both TCPIP and Netbeui were loaed and no IP set.

Machine A - IP set

Then

B,C and D are still working and browsable each other.

But A is only browsable in B and A sees only B.

There is no difference in B, C and D. But it doesn't work with A.

Have anybody experienced this before and any solution?

JSiva

-------------------------------------
jsknair@yahoo.com
PSI Data Systems Limited
Bangalore - 560025

I haven't experienced this - but why not give all machines IP addresses? (in the same range of course).

PS. Why do you need 2 network protocols? (one is usually enough - 2 is just an overhead, as both are loaded).

I agree with wolluf, you don't need 2 protocols, it only slows the network down, so I suggest you ditch Netbeui.

Now getting rid on Netbeui alone may solve it since with networking you may not see one pc with one protocol but you can with another.

I also agree with wolluf about fixed IP addresses.

I suspect the problem lies with either a rouge gateway IP address or subnet mask.

If you run winipcfg on each PC and go to the PPP section, it will tell you exactly the IP and subnet for that PC. All the subnets must be identical, the IP will be the same with the exception of the last digit.

Final thought - have you got a firewall installed?

Guys

Netbeui is needed for our own application.
Tcpip is needed for the ftp operation. And the policy doesnt allow me to put static IP on rest of the machines. It is not exactly 4 machines but more machines. Just to make you understand the problem I gave the example.

Any solution?

JSiva -------------------------------------
jsknair@yahoo.com
PSI Data Systems Limited
Bangalore - 560025

Hi,
Could you just add some clarification please.

TCP/IP - is it needed on all machines, you say it is needed for FTP operation and yet you say there is only one machine that requires a static IP for FTP operation. Do they all need the TCP/IP protocol? Do they all perform some FTP operation? Can you not configure the FTP client to accept the server assigned IP address of machine A?

---------
---------
In my experience of this type of problem - Where all network settings WERE identical the problem lay with Windows assigning the wrong protocols to the network adapter.

Have you more than one Network Adapter in your machines?
If you have try disabling all but one in the system settings etc.

As Tezzie suggested, run winipcfg. Check and match the settings. Also, you need to check which protols are being used by windows to browse the network by your rogue machiness (A + B).

I am slightly unsure as to your admin rights from your comments, but you need to eliminate protocols as a source of the problem. Keeping things simple, I would suggest that on machine A you remove the TCP/IP protocol - can you now browse the network? I am sure I don't have to spell these steps out, you get the picture.

Regards. Booting your machine seldom does it any favours.

I have slept on it and I now recall a bizzare network once which sounds like your problem. On the rouge PC, move the network card to another PCI slot.

It sounds odd, but windows will redetect it and give it fresh settings.

Tez

Can you ping one of the unseen machines from your FTP machine? And the other way?
I would leave the NERBUI alone. There are lots of stories on this site about TCPIP not identifying itself properly and causing machines to disappear from the network.
And what does winipcfg show for the network card of 2 machines that can't see each other. IP address and netmask. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hi

I made two workgroups, one only NetBeui and other tcpip and solved the complications and I don't want all the machines to talk to all now ...

tnx

JSiva -------------------------------------
jsknair@yahoo.com
PSI Data Systems Limited
Bangalore - 560025

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back