Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to browse "Microsoft Windows Network"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechInNeed

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
CA
When I try to browse "Entire Network" using windows explorer, and try to browse my domain from a client, I get the following message.

"Microsoft Windows Network" Dialogue Box

"Domain" is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The server is not configured for transactions.

This in turn renders my clients' workstations "unable to connect" to shared printers.

Note:
Yesterday I ran into another problem in which I fixed with:

Please help, all comments appreciated
Thanks in advance

Check and ensure the Computer Browser service is running from Control panel.

John

Already confirmed and running fine. Any other suggestions?

Something quick and easy if you haven't tried yet; try to change from logging on to the domain to logging on to a workgroup, reboot then make the computer logon to the domain again switching from logging on to workgroup back into logging on to the domain. This has worked for me before.

I had a similar problem and it had to do with th IPC$ share. But, my problem had to do with somone installing a little script that would del the ipc$ share when any one logged into the server. Probly not the same situation here but if you have any problems with the IPC$ share it can cause these kinda problems.

Perhaps you could explain what solved the problem, in case someone strolls in with the same issue later on?

Oops sorry,
I have not been able to get to this thread.
I am going to deploy Exchange 2000 soon and am testing various different AntiVirus softwares to see which one is the most successful in providing a stable virus/worm free environment. I am currently testing Trend MicroSystems and it did not pick up a breach. Even after I performed a manual scan, and rid the system of all threats, the system still behaved strangely. I was able to distinguish the source of the problem by seeing curious processes in Task manager (obvioiusly) :)
See below for what I encounted in my situation

Thanks again for the feedback people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back