Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Browse Peer to Peer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mardawg

MIS
Jul 13, 1999
US
I am attempting to set up a peer to peer network with 1 NT Workstation as a file server and a mixture of Windows95 and 98 machines.<br><br>The network cards are 3com 3c509b tx.<br>They are installed and seem to be working properly.<br><br>I am attempting to use TCP/IP as my protocol.<br><br>I have Checked and rechecked all of the network settings and I am unable to find any differences.&nbsp;&nbsp;The workgroup names are the same the ip addresses are sequential the subnet masks are all the same.<br><br>When I log on to a client machine I am able to ping every Ip address on the network. Including my own and the loopback.<br><br>Even so I am unable to open network neighborhood and see any of the client machines.&nbsp;&nbsp;I can not use the run command to open a network share either.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have tried different nics, and I have disabled tcp/ip and attempted to use NetBEUI all to no avail.<br><br>From a command prompt if I use the net view command I receive error 6118 the computers sharing resources on this network can not be reached.&nbsp;&nbsp;There is an article in tech net referencing a hot fix for this situation but even after I have applied the hot fix the same situation exists.<br><br><br>I am out of ideas and I need some help.<br>

Thanks Ripper it at least allows me to clarify further.<br><br>Everyone is a part of the same workgroup.&nbsp;&nbsp;File and print sharing is turned on.&nbsp;&nbsp;shares have been created for testing.&nbsp;&nbsp;Browse master has been disabled on the Windows9x machines(except for when I tested without the NT Workstation I set one machine as the browse master), and I am unsure of what the setting should be for LM Announce.<br><br>I am unsure of the NT Workstation login but I am thinking that that would not matter for the test of when I took it out of the picture and I am still unable to have a peer to peer with only the Windows9x machines.

NetBios is required on the Win9x machines to see NT machines.

I have an update to the issue the problem appears to be solved but I do not understand what happened.<br><br>Having exhausted every avenue I could come up with at the office I decided to try something a little different.<br><br>I set up a 2 node network at my house using the identical configuration as what I was using at the office.&nbsp;&nbsp;Once I got that working I took it all down and packed it up.&nbsp;&nbsp;I took the hub, the cables, and both computers into the office and set them up again at the office.&nbsp;&nbsp;Once I got them working I began to work the other computers into the new network and they worked.<br><br>Once I had them all working on this network I took the cables out of my hub and put thewm into the appropriate hub.&nbsp;&nbsp;THEY STILL WORKED!!!!!!!!!!&nbsp;&nbsp;Then I switched the cables from my cables to the office's cables.&nbsp;&nbsp;THEY STILL WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!&nbsp;&nbsp;I took the two computers I brought from home out of the network and rebooted all of the remaining computers.&nbsp;&nbsp;THEY STILL WORKED!!!!!!!!!!<br><br>When I tried this latest experiment I made no changes to the existing computers and everything works now so as far as I am concerned the problem is solved but the mystery is much deeper.&nbsp;&nbsp;Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back