Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Browse Network - Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSGroup

MIS
Aug 17, 2002
CA
A laptop running Windows 98 within a peer-to-peer network I administer is getting the "Unable to Browse Network" error.
Other network members can view this computer but this computer can't see anything. And the network is setup and running perf.
A guy told me the TCP/IP stacks are probably screwed.
How do I quickly and properly fix this?

The best thing to do would be to uninstall the network card and reinstall it, after doing that, make sure that the subnet mask on your network is the same as the subnet mask on your laptop, configure the ip address as usual 196.1.1.1, or whatever one u normally use, after that, install file and printer sharing, once u have installed file and printer sharing, share a folder and check if it works

good luck
SMILY1

Make sure that the PC is a member of the correct WORKGROUP - if the name is wrong, it won't see the other PCs.

Also, if you have Client for Microsoft Networks installed, under the properties for that will be a tick box and text field for "Logon to Windows NT Domain". If your not in a NT domain, don't tick the box, but make sure the text field has the name of your Workgroup your in. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

All that stuff is fine. I believe. It works fine with one other computer on another network. Just at the main one it doesn't do a darn thing. It's really got me stumped. I'm thinking of wiping the laptop clean and starting over.
Ideas?

I had same problem. Reinstall didn't help...:-( i will be work on problem tomorrow... if i find the solve, i write here...

What operating system is running on the computer you are trying to connect to?
Is it the same?

You can try uninstalling the protocol and reinstalling it, if you think the stack is messed up. The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to know!
Kimber

Could just be a bad network card also. I have seen this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back