Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to browse network, can ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmoney

Programmer
Aug 3, 2001
US
I am running vpn client ona windows 2000 machine. I am able to connect, access exhange email and ping network servers but unable to browse the network. Help please

I can't help you much, because I have the same problem. I did notice that there is a time delay in my situation. If I let it wait for x minutes, the network neighborhood will then appear.

If you can, give it some time and see if you can eventually browse.

I just went through a similar issue. If you can ping then your problem is with name resolution. If you can see the other computer in network neighborhood but not see their shared resources you probably have a WINS issue. The computers you need to access must be seen by the WINS server. You may have to change setting on each to allow WINS resolution?

Hope this helps.
Chuck

YOu need to enter the ip address of your wins server in the network properties of your client vpn connection. If you don't have a wins server you will probably have a lmhost file which will also do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back