Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

solderjockey

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
This all started yesterday upon rebooting my computer. It went ok till the part where the WindowsXP boot screen came up, then I got a error message "services.exe - Bad Image The application or DLL C:\Windows\system32\msvcp60.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette." So, I tried replacing the offending file with one off the WinXP cd. No Good. Tried all the dllcache & sp1 & sp2 cab files. No good. Finally I resorted to downloading one from the web & replacing it. Now it just reboots endlessly. Prior to this all happening it had been acting strangely, window redraws were kind of slow, and I rebooted it then just fine. Any ideas? I'd really like to fix this without having to re-install, as I just re-installed a couple weeks ago & have got things set up how I like it.
Thanks in advance

Will it boot into Safe Mode or with the "Last known good configuration" option?

This may be malware related? If you can't boot your options are limited.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

You might be able to make use of BartPE (a mini XP self contained on a bootable CD and run from CD) which includes virus scanners via plugins.

The same might be possible with a parallel install of XP.

266465 - HOW TO: Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows 2000

You can do the same with XP. Don't install any unnecessary programs just some virus scanners, keep the parallel installation as simple as possible.

Or the paragraph in this article.

"To install Windows XP to a new folder (to perform a parallel installation):"

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP

If it all gets too much there is always Format and Reinstall to consider.

linney: thanks for the quick response. It will not boot into safe mode or Last Known Good either. The symptoms were the same in either normal boot or safe mode both times. I thought about BartPE but I don't have access to another working comuter ATM to make one.

A parallel installation will allow you to run virus scans on your corrupt system.

This following procedure will allow you to fix corruption in the Registry, if that is the cause?

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

Thanks for the links, linney, I knew there was a way to recover from a corrupted registry (I've had it happen before, and this sounds kind of like it) so I'll give it a try. I just didn't have much time at work to do a whole bunch of Googling. Plus, I didn't want to bork up my system more by doing things that wouldn't have fixed it anyway. Thanks again-

sj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back