Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to attach to one of the drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazman

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2000
GB
Hi,

This is more of an answer rather than a question but I thought other users would benefit from this as it had me tearing my hair out for ages!
I'm using Backup Exec 9 and recently our backups have been failing with the error:
Final Error Code: a000848c HEX (0xa000848c HEX) or e000848c HEX (0xe000848c HEX)
Final Error Description: "Unable to attach to one of the drives" or "Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again"
Final Error Category: Resource Errors

I tried all the options suggested by Veritas but none worked. All necessary authorisation was in place. However, my backup server is separate from my DC and I have to log in as the backup operator. When I set up the operator's user name and login password I also created a mailbox for the user. Backups have been working fine. However, I started getting backup fail messages even though the backup "appeared" to have run OK.

We have an Anti-Spam service that has a 25 user licence and I needed to set up one more user and give him a mailbox. However, this would have taken us over our user count for the licence so in order to do this, I removed the Backup Operator's mailbox as I've never used it.

The problem with the error message was due to the fact that the BE Selection list assumes that all users on the selection list in force actually have valid mailboxes. The operators old mailbox was IN the list - but not selected.

However, the sting was that when I went to edit the job to de-select the operators mailbox - I couldn't get into the mailbox selection list as this logs into the store as the current user. The current user didn't now have a mailbox - so it was impossible to change the selection! The only way out of this was to log on as the operator and change the logon account (Network/Logon Accounts/Management) to replace all rights on the backup server to another user - then log in as them instead. Backups now run as normal. A real gotcha!

I guess the lesson here is: If you want to remove a mailbox from your system, make sure that you remove it from your backup selection list BEFORE you purge it from the system!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back