Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to attach - access denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

magrat

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2002
ZA
Hi,

2 New servers have been added to our backups and we are unable to attach to them with any of the administrator passwords. We have had our security guys look at the security and our network guys look at access through the firewall. This sorted out access to one of the servers, but not the other one.

Ipsec is not enabled on these servers or our backup servers so TechNote ID: 239655(on veritas site) is not rellevant here.

We have attempted disconecting the server from the backup server using "net use \\servername /d" and reattaching, as per veritas technote231926.

This points to the problem being with BEWINUI.UNI, unfortunately we are running ver8.0 and the editor only works on 8.6 so we now need to rename this file to *.old and let bent recreate it. We however have 180 odd servers on our system and a dodgy domain(don't let the network guys hear I said that) and I can't afford to have problems reattaching to any of my other established production servers for the sake of 1 server.

So for my question ...what are all the risks I'm looking at and is there any other way before I go this route.

Thanks
Magrat

Hi there,
If you are adding new servers to the BACKup Exec, you will need to install the agent to the server, while making sure these 2 new servers are in the domain. You can go under the servers list and check if they can be seen from the window. Please do remember to install the agent.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response but the agent had been loaded, it is in the domain and we got 2 weeks of decent backups before we started getting the error "unable to attach" "access denied". The servers can be seen from the backup selection window but we are unable to attach to them without the correct user and password, and it does not accept any of them.

When we've experienced similar problems in the past we move the backup of that particular server to the other backup server(we have 2 backupexec backup servers)and we were able to backup our server again, but this time we cannot reattatch to these from either of our backup servers.

Any more ideas???
thanks

I had same kind of problem, but I had changed the password of bu exec's account. I had to use attach as... command from media server. Check your bu exec account's access rights. Good luck!

What you can do, is to download BackupExec 8.6 from the Veritas website. (It's free to download, but of course you need a licence to install it...). Then just take the PwdDbEdt.exe util and put it on your 8.5 Server. It reads all 8.x-files (at least 8.5)

//Jesper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back