Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to allow telnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckleow

Programmer
Apr 17, 2001
MY
I am trying to allow telnet to my SUN machine(Solaris 8) from my desktop(Win98) but I keep getting this message, "Could not open a connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". And when I try to telnet to local machine(SUN), I get this message,
"Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ... Telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused".
I have comment the line "ALL : ALL" in the file "/etc/hosts.deny" and added in my desktop's ip in the file "/etc/host.allow". Can someone please tell me what else have I left out? Thank you very much in advance for your help, all of you!

hi,

you can check on the SUN machine /etc/inet/inted.conf file.
make sure it have the telnet configuration like below.
"telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.telnetd in.telnetd"
if not add it in and than do a
kill -HUP <process id of inetd>

thanks.

Hi,

First try to ping to your sun m/c from Win98 m/c .If it is thru then telnet to the sun box.

Post the results if u face problem even then......

if he's getting a connection refused, then the host is refusing the connection ... i.e. the host is there. if the host isn't there the you get a 'connection timed out'

can the solaris box ping the windows pc?

is there another computer on the network with the same IP address?

are you running IPfilter, or similar?

if not then:

firstly; are you running the box in multi-user mode, level 3, to check this type in 'who -r' to find the run level ... if you are not in 3, then you will either have to go into it, or run '/usr/sbin/inetd -s'

on your solaris box if you do a 'ps -ef | grep inetd' do you get a line like:
Code:
root   72   1 0 11:48:23 ?     0:00 /usr/sbin/inetd -s

if you do then do a 'grep telnet /etc/inetd.conf' and hopefully you'll get a line like fissa stated above.

if this is '#'d out, unhash it and type in 'pkill -HUP inetd' and telnet might start up.

report back if any of this helps.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back