Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to add mp3's to multisession DVD without deleting existing mp3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FI0L

Programmer
Mar 3, 2009
GB
XP Pro - Service Pack 3.
I'm attempting to store all my CD collection onto DVD's as backup and have been using Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.
Recently the programme caused all sorts of problems with my computer (I suspect due to a MS Update) so uninstalled and re-installed it. Same problems after re-installation so I deleted it.

I've tried similar apps to continue the task but when adding mp3's to a DVD which already has tunes on it, the apps appear not to see the existing mp3's and writes all over them. When burning to disc I'm careful to choose the multisession option and not to finalise, but to no avail.

What am I doing wrong and is there an app out there that anyone can recommend I use that will allow me to continue backing-up my music.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

I gave up on Roxio years ago for Nero.

Just a personal choice... but you may want to try it. It's not as "pretty" as Roxio, but it has a lot more flexibility and horsepower, IMHO.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Hi

I would suggest copying all the MP3 files that are going to go on one DVD to a folder, then copy the folder to the DVD and finalize it. You could use this as an opportunity to organize them if you haven't already.

Then do the same with the next group until you have them all backed up.

Then just delete the folders you have made to free up the space on your hard drive.

I never had problems with Roxio but I'm using Nero now.

Mike

Thanks for the replies gbaughma & Mike,

(The problem I encountered with Roxio was that it disabled my security software soon after an MS update)

A bit of background first, I DJ online and I have a wallfull of CD's with some vinyl which I'm converting to mp3's (I'll probably be dead before I finish) and each DVD has performers in first letter alphabetical order (to date I have about 28 DVD's).

If I was able to add tunes to existing DVD's without wiping out tunes that were already on there before, then why can't I do it now?

I suppose what I'm asking is, does each app have its own way of writing to multisession discs and if I use one app to continue the work of a previous one, is there incompatability because of different protocols.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

Hi

I understand now you aren't just backing up your files but creating a collection of DVDs that you update.

Well Windows 7 handles this differently, when you place a DVD in the drive, it asks you how you want to use it, like a DVD/CD or a flash drive.

If you select flash drive it formats the disk and you can read and write to it just like another hard drive. You can drag the files back and forth etc. You can continue using it like this as long as you like.
No third party software is necessary.

I think there is a way to format disks so that they can be used in XP the same way but I don't remember exactly how to do it.

Beyond that you might just try downloading Nero.

And see if it will do what you need.

Mike

Thanks guys, Nero sorted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back