Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to access website

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkertech

Technical User
Oct 29, 2002
US
Hello there, I have an interesting situation and I hope someone can help on this one. There is this website I want to access and I can get to its first page, when I click on the log-in button, I get a "unable to access this site" message on a white screen. You know the typical white screen. Yet I go to another computer in my LAN and I am able to access it fine. I log-in ok and I'm able to conduct my business. But not from my station. I have ran full system anti-virus, Spybot, and adware and the problem continues. Any thoughts. I am running Win2K with all its updates.

For every problem there is a solution, for every solution there is a tech behind it.

Using the same DNS servers as those that can log in?

Think I had a problem like this a few years ago and this was the cause. Hopefully you have the same problem.

Nzarth

MCSA/MCSE (W2K), CCA

Working on CCNA

Thanks for the tip. I just checked and both DNS settings are set to Auto detect. Could it be a securities issue?

For every problem there is a solution, for every solution there is a tech behind it.

Delete Temporary Internet Files and try, and if not, try to update latest NIC drivers.

See if you have Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB832894)installed. If so, remove it. It was causing issues for redirects when I had it installed.
The recent service pack updates Internet Explorer 6.0 for a known vulnerability
known as "Travel Log Cross Domain" which is explained in the Microsoft security
bulletin MS04-04. This Internet Explorer cumulative update also includes a
change to the functionality of a basic authentication feature in Internet
Explorer by removing support for handling usernames and passwords in HTTP or
HTTP URLs

Resolution:

Remove "Internet Explorer Q832894" using the Add/Remove
Programs tool in the control panel and reboot.

Cliff, CCNA/MCSE/MCSA 2000
Network Administrator

I really think you keep the security update, and read:
I suspect though, that going through this checklist will resolve the issue on the individual machine:
I note too in my practice that occasionally this issue surfaces as an indication of a corrupt user profile. Add a new user, and test fromt that workstation again. If success, the user profile has issues.

I have found this guide usefull to copy the older, corrupt user profile data to a new one:
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back