Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to access the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesvaz

Technical User
Nov 7, 2002
US
I just purchased a new copy of RedHat Linux desktop version. I am new to this. I installed it, and everything went fine. I went to Network Configuration, and the NIC is activated.

I have DSL, which I connect four Windows computers through a hub. All my Windows computers connect fine. When I clicked to connect to Mozilla, I got a message that said, "Your web page could not be found. Please check the name and try again."

I have the network settings to DHCP, and automatically detect settings, just like my other Windows computers.

I must be missing something. Can someone show me the steps to connect to the internet? I appreciate your answer.

What version of Red Hat? Do you mean that you get the error message when you click on Mozilla to start Mozilla, or that you cannot connect to the mozilla homepage?

Can you connect via FTP (e.g., using GFTP)? Try _ping_ command as well. If this works, try Galeon (to see if web browsing is possible at all).

This may be a firewall issue.

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back