Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to access sysedit - win ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

officework13

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
CA
I have low resources. I realized that i have a bunch of junk in my startup tab when runing msconfig. Now i am trying to eliminate items from the startup tab in msconfig i have reviewed several sites that suggest running sysedit - so i typed in sysedit but i continually get an error indicating it does not exist. I have Microsoft ME.

Also when i press CTRL ALT DEL i have a number of programs running. Which ones do i need. How can i tell which ones do what. The easy ones i can tell as they have the same word as the program but others i have no idea.

Do a search on the hard drive for sysedit.exe and let us know if it's there (suspect that it is)
If it isn't, extract a copy from the CD with SFC (you may choose to replace the file this way anyway to preclude corruption)

On the recent Win98/Me machines I've worked on...NONE of the items in Startup were necessary to run the OS. (I know, there are power profiles and the like you'd think would be necessary)

You can do the experiment yourself...disable ALL the items in Startup in msconfig and try booting. If it won't boot (I think that it will) you can reboot and choose Safe Mode and turn them back on. But my experience has been that none of the items in the Startup are needed.

Here's a hopefully helpful link to Tech Net and a discussion of the System Information utility...that will show you the processes running (not just apps):

There's also a discussion on System File Checker and its use in Chapter 7 of the document that you may find helpful

I found it on a different area when searching. the reason there is no sysedit is that there is a new feature on ME when you run msconfig you get a table with tabs where you can select the startup items.
thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back